This position is responsible for the continued development and ongoing monitoring and management of the compliance programs within the Stericycle Communication & Related Services business unit. Specifically, ensuring that all HIPAA and other compliance related matters meet required regulatory and company guidelines and are documented in an effective, compliant, and efficient manner. Assists in the development, design and implementation of continuous improvement projects and offers ideas and suggestions to management on improving customer interaction, employee morale and streamlining processes.
Key Job Activities:
- Develop, amend and maintain privacy and security policies and procedures related to the communication services provided.
- Monitoring and reporting. Establish and implement periodic monitoring and evaluation of programs to assess effectiveness of processes that are in place. Maintain systems that provide for timely and relevant information related to compliance to be made available to management.
- Maintain compliance with all federal and state laws related to the maintenance, use and disclosure of protected health information (PHI) and remain abreast of changes in law or regulation that may affect the organization.
- Conduct an investigation of any unauthorized disclosure of PHI and prepare notification to contracted covered entities and others, as appropriate.
- Direct efforts to communicate the compliance programs to employees, including the development and implementation of training programs designed to promote understanding of compliance issues, laws, regulations and the consequences of non-compliance.
- Oversee the performance of a risk assessment to evaluate the administrative, physical and technical safeguards which the company has adopted to protect electronic PHI. Adopt and implement a risk management program in response to the assessment.
- Oversees workflow of HIPAA related contracts, including review, approval and monitoring compliance, in accordance with all legal and company requirements.
- Works with the legal team, Operations and other Stericycle departments on the standardization, improvement, streamlining and/or revision of current processes relating to communications compliance. Interacts with managers and directors to develop/implement processes and to address issues and requests. Performs other related duties and special projects as requested.
- Education equivalent to a bachelor’s degree in business administration or related field of study; or the equivalent in related work experience.
- Three or more years of compliance experience preferably in the health care environment or a healthcare outbound calling center. Five years preferred. History should show progressive responsibilities including management experience.
- Demonstrates knowledge of and experience in working with compliance issues -- specifically protected health information (PHI) with advanced knowledge of the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) as well as the corollary state law(s).
- Demonstrates a working knowledge of information technology and security practices.
- Demonstrated knowledge of project management skills and a strong knowledge of contract and service delivery systems, terminology and processes.
- Demonstrates intermediate to advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office products including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook. Must be able to input, monitor and manipulate data within these applications.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.