The Director of External Reporting is responsible for the entire external reporting process across six key areas: financial statement preparation, press release creation, script preparation, supporting presentation, internal communication, and SEC compliance; and provides the highest levels of consistency and cohesiveness in messaging across all six areas.
Key Job Activities:
1) Direct and manage the preparation of financial statements, footnotes and other information presented throughout the SEC filings. Coordinate and validate data across the organization to ensure filings are compliant with policy and accounting standards (e.g. GAAP, Sarbanes Oxley). Identify inconsistencies, errors, and/or issues and develops, and presents to management, a plan of action and/or conclusion. Provide analytical and operational support in response to queries from the SEC and other stakeholders.
2) Monitor and analyze changes to accounting policy (e.g. GAAP) and SEC issues / interpretations. Summarize the impact of relevant changes to the organization’s accounting and financial reporting. Provide guidance and advice to other departments in response to questions or problems relating to accounting treatment of certain issues, as necessary.
3) Develop, communicate and manage reporting requirements and timelines. Identify opportunities to improve internal controls and improve processes to drive efficiencies.
4) Drive the creation of or update to standard operating procedures around external reporting processes.
5) Proactively evolve key disclosures related to key risk factors and the overall MD&A sections of our company’s reports. Benchmark these factors against other world class companies.
6) Ensure external financial reporting and other areas of responsibility are in compliance with internal control policies and procedures.
7) Lead, research and identify trends on best practices for external reporting. Interact with subject matter experts to provide insightful recommendations on: MD&A sections, disclosure effectiveness, SEC comment letter trends, strategic initiative communication, and emerging technologies.
Contacts (Internal/External): Internal: Business functional leader across the company External: External auditors and consultants
Education and Experience required (including certifications and/or software requirements for the position):
• Bachelor's degree in accounting and a Certified Public Accountant designation
• 8 to 10 years of experience in Accounting with proven management experience
• A minimum of four years of public accounting; public company experience preferred
• Must possess a deep technical knowledge of US GAAP and Sarbanes-Oxley compliance
• Experience in effective leadership, interpersonal and communication skills capable of interacting with staff, peers, and senior leadership including the CEO, CFO, and General Counsel competently and effectively
Key Competencies (Non-technical Behavioral Skills, i.e. presentation, negotiation, customer service skills), you may just list the most important 7-10, in priority order:
• Demonstrates the ability to collect and analyze data and draw appropriate inferences based on Stericycle policies and individual state regulations. Weighs alternatives and presents logical solutions to problems using information available. Identifies potential risks and obstacles and recommends plans to eliminate them.
• Demonstrates the ability to present ideas and information in a clear, concise, organized, and diplomatic manner; gather information from multiple parties to ensure all perspectives are heard and considered; listen to others to respond effectively to ideas, thoughts, and questions. Express one ’s self effectively in adversarial and confrontational settings to obtain desired results with minimal impact; creates and delivers effective presentations for business unit customers and senior level management.
• Demonstrates the ability to make sound and thorough decisions after; reviewing the facts, incorporating perspectives of others, applying technical knowledge and past experience, and incorporating company policy.
• Demonstrates the ability to efficiently manage own time, activities and resources. Identify specific activities required to accomplish objectives, rank them in order of importance, and coordinate and take action to achieve desired results; prioritize complex multiple activities and projects.
• Demonstrates the ability to interact and participate effectively in a team environment; actively listen, confront issues and provide feedback to others on the team as well as internal and external customers, in a courteous and timely manner.
• Demonstrates the ability to provide direction in addressing difficult issues; influence others to implement needed changes.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.