The Director of Accounting provides leadership, support and consultation in the all areas of accounting to Stericycle operations and maintains a system of internal controls that will ensures the company maintains and adheres to financial reporting policies, SEC and US GAAP requirements and other compliance related activities. Act as the liaison with corporate and regional finance management for technical consultations. Manages the review and approval process of all new technical accounting position papers.
Key Job Activities:
1) Lead and manage all accounting activities
• Directs day-to-day accounting functions, including but not limited to Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, Collections, Fixed Assets, Consolidation and General Accounting.
• Manages the monthly and quarterly consolidation and internal financial reporting processes, as well as timely and accurate analysis of financial results and financial trends.
• Acts as the main contact to the external auditors to assist in their completion of an efficient audit.
• Research and analysis of technical accounting matters and recommendation of actions relating thereto, and documentation of accounting issues.
• Leads all internal controls over financial reporting cycle close, including annual scoping and risk assessment, develop and maintain COSO structure control framework (e.g. RCM’s), establish self-testing and continuous controls monitoring, Segregation of Duties (SOD).
• Assist with quarterly accounting and disclosure governance committee meetings, including the development of the agendas, identification of presenters, and oversight and counsel on content development.
2) Transaction Accounting (e.g. acquisition, divestitures and other similar transactions)
• Manages the purchase accounting for acquisitions including cross-functionally working with tax, legal, business development and business unit finance to ensure compliance with GAAP and statutory requirements
• Consolidation integration activities for acquisitions including finance policy alignment and adoption, trail balance conversion and mapping, transition to standardized / harmonized SOX risk and control matrices among other integration activities.
3) Accounting Policy and Procedures
• Leads the development, implementation, communication and training of accounting policies, ensuring compliance with US GAAP for use on a worldwide basis.
• Leads the process for operationalizing new accounting standards and requirements. Serve as technical resource to other areas of the Company, including assisting with communications with external auditors on external financial statements and accounting issues to ensure auditor agreement with company decisions.
• Implement best financial and accounting practices for all locations, and benchmark external and internal operations.
• Leads the Delegation of Authority (DA) – DA development, maintenance, training and governance to assure organization compliance.
4) Leadership, Support, Guidance and Internal Consulting
• Provides overall support and analysis to executive management by investigating accounting questions, issues and judgments, and functioning as a change agent across the company by partnering with team members from other business units to assist with accounting questions.
• Leads the company’s contract review process, responsible for reviewing cross-functional contracts for accounting and reporting matters, and overseeing the conclusions documented in white papers.
• Coaches and develops staff including establishing annual goals and monitoring progress and achievement of results; ensure smooth transfer of knowledge for key positions; hire and train to provide for appropriate succession planning.
• Directs and manages ad hoc projects assigned by senior management, including analysis of business operations, proposed accounting treatment of significant or unusual transactions, or other accounting and finance-related matters.
5) Actively participates in committee activities
• Account to Report Process Owner for Corporate Activities (Field Activities with GBS)
• Audit Committee Coordination and Presentations
• Disclosure Committee
• Finance Policy Committee
• SOX Remediation Committee
• Legal Entity Structure and Capital Allocation Committee
• Litigation Log and Environmental Log Participant and Accounting Coordinator
• Non-GAAP Approval Member
• Legal Entity Administration Database (LEAD) Key Stakeholder
Contacts (Internal/External): Internal: Business functional leader across the company External: External auditors and consultants
Education and Experience required (including certifications and/or software requirements for the position):
• Bachelor's degree in accounting and a Certified Public Accountant designation
• 8 to 10 years of experience in Financial Reporting with proven management experience
• A minimum of four years of public accounting; public company experience preferred
• Must possess a deep technical knowledge of US GAAP and Sarbanes-Oxley compliance.
• Experience in effective leadership, interpersonal and communication skills capable of interacting with staff, peers, and senior leadership including the CEO, CFO, and General Counsel competently and effectively.