Responsible for providing sophisticated legal advice and counseling to all Stericycle business units on a broad range of labor and employment matters. Represents Stericycle in employment and labor law administrative matters and leads complex employment litigation matters.
Key Job Activities:
1. Provide legal counsel to management regarding all employment and labor law issues, including talent acquisition and restrictive covenants, compensation and benefits, health and welfare plans payroll, disability and leave, OSHA, immigration, collective bargaining and other employment and labor issues.
2. Represent Stericycle before government/administrative agencies in discrimination, wage and other employment claims, and in response to threatened claims.
3. Partner with internal clients to create proactive strategies designed to avoid or minimize exposure to legal liability.
4. Provide regular training to HR and business unit team members regarding employment and labor issues, including recent developments in the law.
5. Provide employment and labor law support on merger and acquisition agreements, due diligence, integration and other business restructuring projects.
6. Support corporate compliance initiatives.
7. Provide direction and supervision of outside counsel on domestic and international matters.
8. Resolve labor and employment issues using negotiation skills and legal expertise.
9. Develop successful employment litigation strategies and supervise and direct outside counsel in execution of strategies in employment litigation.
10. Provide creative approaches to demands and dispute resolution and represent Stericycle in mediations and negotiate and draft settlement and separation agreements.
11. Participates in the development of policies and projects with significant organizational impact; influences company-wide direction.
• Juris Doctorate degree from a top tier law school with admission to the bar. Must be and remain licensed to practice law and in good standing in the state of IL.
• Ten or more years of experience representing employers in both private sector employment law matters (including employment litigation) and traditional labor law matters (including labor arbitration).
• Demonstrates sophisticated knowledge and experience related to Labor & Employment Laws, including National Labor Relations Act, Taft-Hartley, ADA, FMLA, Title VII / Civil Rights Act, OSHA, workers compensation, unemployment, Title VII, ADEA, FLSA, NLRA, WARN, OFCCP regulations, and related state labor and employment laws.
• Demonstrates a working knowledge and experience regarding the collective bargaining process, including understanding of union organization process, contract negotiations, grievance handling and resolution, and labor & management relationships.
• Demonstrates a working knowledge and experience related to collective bargaining agreements, company policies, practices and ethical obligations.
• Ability to oversee investigations and implementation of appropriate resolutions.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.