This position is responsible for timely and accurate execution of accounting functions with significant focus on General Ledger accounting in a shared services environment, general compliance with US GAAP and Stericycle Accounting Policies (SAPs) as well as other tasks as directed by leadership. This role reports to the Director of North America Accounting.
Areas of focus / emphasis include:
• Review and process general ledger transactions resulting from activities that stem from the operations of the business.
• Standardization and harmonization of account reconciliations and journal entries ensuring financial data is accurate and complete.
• Responsible for preparing and reviewing balance sheet account reconciliations to ensure reconciling items are identified and resolved on a timely basis.
• Review and prepare analyses of revenue and expense accounts.
• General Ledger master data maintenance.
• Accounting coordination with internal/external audit.
Key Job Activities:
1) Oversees the day-to-day coordination of processing transactional financial data, preparation and reviewof journal entries and account reconciliations. Ensuring that all information provided by the entity (IPE) has adequate basis of source data, parameters and report logic controls and that those controls are effectively operating.
2) Tracks the status of open reconciling items and ensures their team follows up with them in an engaging and collaborative manner with cross-functional involvement making sure that they are resolved in the time prescribed by our policies.
3) Monitors that there is adequately designed and effectively operating Financial Statement Close Process (FSCP) standard work for all tasks critical to the FSCP closing process.
4) Ensures that the team is preparing and maintaining adequate, accurate and complete management reports that help Stericycle’s functional leaders make insightful business decisions.
5) Leads the coordination effort of compiling reporting and the support for the quarterly and annual deliverables for our external auditors ensuring that all IPE has source, parameters and report logic controls that are adequately designed and effectively operating.
6) Accountable for developing their team including technical skills and soft skills needed to progress through the organization. Advocates for each team member such that they progress their careers within Stericycle. Manages the team’s performance as needed utilizing performance differentiation techniques. Prepares performance evaluations and conducts annual reviews.
7) Ensures the adherance with all applicable US GAAP guidance and internal Stericycle Accounting Policies and related control standards.
8) Identifies and remediates internal control deficiencies in the areas/processes assigned.
9) Ensure effective ERP operations with respect to financial reporting.
10) Other duties as assigned.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Finance/Accounting. Masters in Accounting, MBA, CPA strongly preferred. Must demonstrate a strong understanding of GAAP, Audit processes (internal / external) month-end closing process, general ledger accounts, and financial statement formats.
• At least 6 years of public accounting experience in audit with exposure to clients with a single instance of an ERP (i.e. SAP) or at least 6 years experience in general accounting using a single instance of an ERP with at least 3 of those years having had exposure to external audit.
• Prior experience mining large amounts of data.
• Prior experience building and leading high performing teams.
• Working knowledge of continuous improvement philosophies (Lean/Six Sigma) in a practical work setting
• Prior experience designing IPE controls and MRC (Management Review Control) activities
• Prior SAP experience
• Prior Microsoft Dynamics AX Experience
• Prior experience with Robotic Process Automation (RPA)
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.