This position will support the Chief Ethics and Compliance Officer and the Stericycle team responsible for the company’s global anti-corruption compliance program, including program governance, policy development, risk assessment, third party oversight, training, monitoring, compliance counselling, investigations, and management reporting. This position will be responsible for reducing and managing the risk of violating laws and regulations applicable to Stericycle’s businesses.
- Responsible for drafting, implementing, and updating policies and procedures related to all Corporate Compliance activities in North America and globally.
Performs as a subject matter expert on anti-bribery / anti-corruption compliance, keeping current on global legal developments, enforcement guidance and trends, industry activities and other emerging trends.
Provides expert legal counsel to Senior Leaders including Chief Ethics and Compliance Officer to ensure that business units and team members comply with applicable regulations as part of global Anti-Bribery and Corruption (ABAC) Program.
- Supports and leads the design, implementation, and management of the organization’s global anti-bribery / anti-corruption policies and procedures that incorporate applicable legal standards.
- Responsible for implementing and managing global due diligence program to ensure identification and mitigation of corruption and other risks associated with third parties.
- Partners with a variety of stakeholders to embed anti-bribery / anti-corruption requirements and controls into projects, agreements and business processes.
- Responds to inquiries from business and provides guidance and training regarding anti-bribery / anti-corruption requirements applicable to activities including assistance with transactions.
- Supports or leads complex internal investigations and resulting remediation, including coordination of multiple internal stakeholders, outside counsel, outside forensic auditors and other experts, and provides related legal advice to the company in connection with those investigations.
- Conducts and oversees Stericycle self-assessment activities to pro-actively review compliance and corruption-related risks from a legal perspective.
- Advises and actively collaborates with Internal Audit; oversees internal audit anti-corruption (e.g., FCPA) assessments.
- Supports other global initiatives of the Office of Ethics and Compliance as needed.
- Other duties as required.
Education and Experience required (including certifications and/or software requirements for the position):
- Bachelor’s degree and Juris Doctor (JD) degree is required.
- Minimum of 4 years related job experience in a compliance or related field, such as law enforcement, legal, risk management, or audit. An understanding of international anti-corruption laws, including the FCPA and UK Bribery Act, is necessary.
- Candidate must be detail oriented, able to exercise sound judgment, and observe the highest degree of confidentiality in the handling of information received in the course of this position.
- Proficient at intermediate/advanced level in Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
Key Competencies (Non-technical Behavioral Skills, i.e. presentation, negotiation, customer service skills)
- Strong interpersonal and oral and written communication skills, including experience interacting with senior management;
- Foreign language skills are desirable but not necessary;
- Ability to handle confidential and/or sensitive information in a professional manner;
- Strong decision-making, solid judgment, critical thinking, creativity, and problem-solving skills;
- Ability to multi-task, prioritize, and organize work to meet deadlines; and
- Self-starter with ability to work with limited supervision.Ensure that compliance activities across Stericycle continue to meet and exceed all regulatory requirements.
Other (i.e. physical requirements, travel, etc. that is not covered above:
- Domestic and international travel required
- Grasping – frequently apply pressure to an object with the fingers and palm
- Hearing – constantly perceiving the nature of sounds at normal speaking levels with or without correction
- Reaching – frequently extend hand (s) and arm (s) in any direction
- Repetitive motion – frequent substantial movements (motions) of the wrists, hands and/or fingers
- Seeing – constantly use visual acuity to determine the accuracy, neatness and thoroughness of the work assigned or to make general observations
- Sitting – frequently sit for sustained periods of time
- Talking – frequently expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word
- Visual acuity - Must have close visual acuity to perform activities such as, preparing and analyzing data and figures, viewing a computer terminal, extensive reading, filing papers, operating a vehicle, etc.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.