The position supports assurance activities for Stericycle, primarily focusing on Sarbanes-Oxley (“SOX”), financial, operational, and compliance audits. These assurance activities generally support business requirements, best practices, and SOX compliance. Responsibilities Include:
- Support the execution of the global SOX program and supervise the annual execution of its testing
- For complex audits:
- Execute project plans, major tasks and milestones using scope, resources, budget and personnel as criteria.
- For routine audits:
- Design project plans, major tasks and milestones using scope, resources, budget and personnel as criteria;
- Directly supervise up to 3 co-source auditors;
- Schedule and supervise interviews and walkthroughs;
- Schedule and supervise testing;
- Transparently update the Internal Audit Manager and Director on schedule changes and program results; and
- Maintain an open dialogue and a teaching relationship with process and control owners.
- Maintain relationships with Stericycle’s co-source providers and supervise co-source providers’ work.
- Maintain Stericycle’s reliance strategy with Stericycle’s external auditor
- Develop relationships with business process owners and serve as an advisor, counselor, and service partner to their departments.
- Provide insight and control recommendations to management proactively and in response to issues (i.e. test failures) to support process improvement opportunities and SOX remediation.
- Produce high quality documentation using internal templates and data storage tools.
- Ensure data storage tool (and the reports it enables) are updated in a timely and accurate manner.
- Use all encounters with the business, (i.e. all phases of the program and any ad hoc support activity) to teach and enhance process owners’ understanding of ownership, process risk, the principles of control design, and the importance of timely execution.
- Continuously evaluate internal controls by utilizing reporting, distribution & financial systems and by maintaining communications with business process owners.
- Education equivalent to Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, demonstrating a working knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles and demonstrates a professional manner. Master’s degree in Accounting or other related field is a strong plus.
- Three to five years of progressive audit experience with a CPA firm or within an internal audit function, demonstrating the ability to manage moderately complex audit projects to develop corrective action alternatives; prepare comprehensive, clear, concise reports; and maintain objectivity and impartiality.
- Demonstrates proficiency in the use of Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and Access; SQL queries a plus.
- Good project management skills.
- Prior experience with end-to-end SOX programs, including project work and program support, test of design, test of operating effectiveness, and remediation planning.
- Strong working knowledge of COSO 2013 Framework and PCAOB Auditing Standards.
- Good knowledge of audit procedures and techniques.
- Good oral and written communication skills.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Understanding of financial statements and relevant ratios.
- Ability to travel up to 30% of the time, including international.
- Preferred experience:
- CPA, CIA, and/or CFE designation.
- Strong SAP (S4 HANA) and SAP GRC 12.0 knowledge.
- Strong ERP implementation experience.
- SOC / SSAE 18 experience and third party assessment review experience desired.
- Data analytics experience, including use of Alteryx and/or similar technologies.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.