QIAGEN Bioinformatics is a leading provider of software and knowledge bases used by life scientists to gain insight from the molecular information in their biological samples. We have developed industry-leading software tools for analysis and reporting of biological data. We are passionate about our users, products, and our vision, and are seeking smart, motivated engineers and scientists who are eager to join our team in creating software that actually helps improve people’s lives. Our mission is to make improvements in life possible. We accomplish this by designing tools used in labs all over the world to facilitate scientific discovery and progress, focused in genomics. Located in Redwood City, CA, QIAGEN offers a professional work environment, competitive benefits, and values work-life balance.
The Content Group
As a Bioinformatics Developer with the Content Group, you will be part of a collaborative, cross-functional team of biological content scientists, knowledge engineers, product owners, software and quality engineers building powerful tools to gain biological insight into RNA-Seq and DNA-Seq data. We have built a world-class knowledge base (KB) rich with molecular and functional relationships derived from scientific literature and biological databases. By structuring previously unstructured biological knowledge, the KB provides the foundation for our biomedical data-interpretation capabilities. This is a great opportunity for someone with a bioinformatics, pipeline development, or knowledge management background to use and expand these skills and help maintain and improve our suite of scientific software applications.
- Develop and improve pipelines for content acquisition including article selection for targeted manual curation.
- Work collaboratively with the other team members to make decisions on content modeling and integration for all QIAGEN products and services.
- Work with product management on enhancements to existing and development of new features for QIAGEN applications.
- Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills: ability to interact and work well with members of other functional groups in project teams and a strong sense of project ownership.
- Excellent problem-solving abilities.
- Ability to actively listen to and collaborate with others in a cross-discipline organization.
- Demonstrated competency in bioinformatics, information integration, and knowledge modeling.
- Solid understanding of the bio-medical domain.
- Experience with scientific Natural Language Processing / Text Mining technologies.
- Experience with Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence implementations for scientific uses.
- Experience integrating public and proprietary information sources into a knowledge architecture at scale – e.g. pharmaceutical, chemical, or biological informatics.
- 3+ years in an information-oriented function – chem/bioinformatics, scientific application product management, or development.
- Familiarity with general bioinformatics resources (such as NCBI Entrez Gene, PubMed, OMIM, ClinVar)
- Familiarity with ontologies, specifically biomedical ontologies (such as GO, SnoMed, HPO, NCIt).
- Experience working with and processing NGS datasets and databases.
- Facility with software API usage and build automation.
- MS or PhD in life-sciences, bioinformatics, or related area.
QIAGEN is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.