Bioinformatics Manager – Content Group
In this position, you will be responsible for managing a team of bioinformatics developers that work to deliver high-quality content and informatics support to three key QIAGEN software platforms: Ingenuity Pathway Analysis (IPA), Ingenuity Variant Analysis (VA), and QIAGEN Clinical Insight-Interpret (QCI-I); as well as other managing development for other products and services. QIAGEN bioinformatics products utilize scientific information curated from primary literature sources and databases and it is the responsibility of the content team to ensure the consistency and usability of this information. The role includes both planning and execution functions and requires good understanding of knowledge management and information modeling in the bio-medical domain. You will work closely with QIAGEN’s product development teams and the curation team to structure and integrate content across many scientific domains and incorporate them into our customer applications. As a result, you will have the opportunity to significantly impact the success of our products and company.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Hire and manage bioinformatics, pipeline development/automation, and ontology group members.
- Work collaboratively with the other senior scientific and technical experts to make decisions on content modeling and integration for all Ingenuity products and services.
- Propose and drive implementation of alternatives to existing processes and procedures that will enable individuals, the department, and the organization to perform more effectively and efficiently.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills: ability to interact and work well with members of other functional groups in project teams and a strong sense of project ownership.
- Strong leadership skills, decision making, and problem-solving abilities.
- Ability to actively listen, motivate others, and foster a team environment.
- Demonstrated competency in bioinformatics, information integration, and knowledge modeling.
- Solid understanding of the bio-medical domain.
- Experience with scientific Natural Language Processing / Text Mining technologies.
- Experience integrating public and proprietary information sources into a knowledge architecture at scale – e.g. pharmaceutical, chemical, or biological informatics.
- 3+ years in an information-oriented function – chem/bioinformatics, scientific application product management, or development.
- Familiarity with general bioinformatics resources (such as NCBI Entrez Gene, PubMed, OMIM).
- 3+ years of management in an information-oriented function.
- Familiarity with ontologies, specifically biomedical ontologies (such as GO, MeSH, and SnoMed).
- Experience working with and processing NGS datasets and databases.
- MS or PhD in life-sciences, bioinformatics or related areas.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.