QIAGEN Bioinformatics is a leading provider of software and knowledge bases used by life scientists to gain insight from the molecular information in their biological samples. We have developed industry-leading software tools for analysis and reporting of biological data. We are passionate about our users, products, and our vision, and are seeking smart, motivated engineers and scientists who are eager to join our team in creating software that actually helps improve people’s lives.
Our mission is to make improvements in life possible. We accomplish this by designing tools used in labs all over the world to facilitate scientific discovery and progress, focused in genomics.
Located in Redwood City, CA, QIAGEN offers a professional work environment, competitive benefits, and values work-life balance.
The Content Quality Group
At QIAGEN, we have built a world-class knowledge base (KB) rich with molecular and functional relationships derived from scientific literature and biological databases. By structuring previously unstructured biological knowledge, the KB provides the foundation for our biomedical data-interpretation capabilities. The content quality group is responsible for testing the accuracy and completeness of the KB and the usage of the content in our product applications. The work is critically important for ensuring the quality of the analyses our customers rely on.
You will be part of a collaborative, cross-functional team of biologists, bioinformaticians, and software engineers building powerful tools that help understand the significance of sequencing and omics data. You will use your foundation in biological science and scripting skills to assure the scientific quality of biological interpretations, supporting analytics, and information in our applications. This is an excellent opportunity to be directly involved in building high-quality products that can improve medicine and scientific research and make an impact on human healthcare. Training will be provided.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Work with product owners, scientific and technical team members to understand and refine requirements, use cases, and workflows of product features.
- Think critically about our content and technology and develop methods for testing scientific quality. Write and maintain tests that can find issues in our biomedical information, determine when analytics may be faulty, or when interpretations are unexpected or not well-supported.
- Work with team members to select appropriate test sets and assure on-going, regular, timely, critical review, and manual testing of scientific variant and data interpretation.
- Communicate testing status and assure successful delivery of test results that will be used to improve our content curation, workflows, product application features, and determine release readiness.
- Participate in the definition, honing, and documentation of QC protocols, tools, and methods, and interface with content curation scientists on using them.
- Investigate and report defects found and assess risk. Be a passionate voice of our scientific product customers internally.
- Strong foundation in molecular genetics (preferably human genetics), understanding of heredity.
- Excellent critical reading and interpretation of scientific publications and familiarity with genomic or disease databases.
- Familiarity with DNA sequence analysis, NGS technologies, and data interpretation.
- Proven ability to solve problems and analyze data
Preferred (one or more of the following):
- Experience in curation from scientific literature and/or analysis of genetic data.
- Experience in variant interpretation, familiarity with genome browsers, human disease mutation databases, and functional annotation sources.
- Programming skills, especially in one or more of the following: Perl, Python, R, Unix, or Java.
- Knowledge of basic statistics.
- Knowledge of ontology or database design and programming (e.g. SQL, Oracle).
- Knowledge of software development life cycle, best practices, quality controls, testing techniques.
- Experience with documentation, project planning, and issue tracking systems.
- Education: MD or PhD in the biological sciences, preferably in field relating directly to human genetics or human disease.
- Excellent critical thinking, analytical, and problem-solving skills.
- Energetic, efficient, organized, strong attention to detail, and open-minded.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, teamwork, and time management abilities.
- Enthusiastic to learn new technologies, including bioinformatics tools, explore diverse content, and algorithms.
Preferred (one or more of the following):
- Supervisory, leadership, project management, teaching, or mentoring experience.
- Working with international team members.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.