QIAGEN Bioinformatics (https://www.qiagenbioinformatics.com/) is looking for a senior bioinformatician to join our content operations and ontology engineering team. We are a leading provider of software and knowledge bases used by life scientists to gain insights from the molecular information in their biological samples. Our mission is to make improvements in life possible. We accomplish this by developing industry-leading software tools for analysis and reporting of biological data, that are used in labs all over the world to facilitate scientific discovery and progress, focused in genomics. We have built a world-class Knowledge Base rich with molecular and functional relationships derived from scientific literature and biological databases. In combination with our Knowledge Base, we use semantic technologies and computational techniques to provide biological context to our analytics. Located in Redwood City, CA, QIAGEN offers a professional work environment, competitive benefits, and values work-life balance.
This is an excellent opportunity for individuals with interdisciplinary training in biology and computer science to contribute to the advancement of science and healthcare! As a Bioinformatics Engineer, you will be joining a dynamic cross-functional team of biologists, ontologists, bioinformaticians and software engineers working on truly cutting-edge technology, developing products to gain biological insight from RNA-Seq and DNA-Seq data. You will use your background in bioinformatics and programming skills to support and lead integration of information from our knowledge base and public databases, and analytics algorithms into our applications.
- Graduate degree (PhD-level preferred) in bioinformatics or computational biology, or in core computer or biological sciences with cross-training or experience.
- Solid programming skills, especially Perl or Python.
- Expertise in bioinformatics tools and databases used in genomics/biomedical research, e.g. genomic databases, genome browsers, mutation repositories, variant effect prediction algorithms, etc.
- 5+ years of relevant experience, or formal or advanced training.
Preferred skills and experience:
- Familiarity with NGS data interpretation or DNA sequence analysis pipelines.
- Familiarity with splice-site prediction tools.
- Knowledge of ontology, semantic technology, Artificial Intelligence, biomedical text mining, information extraction (IE), Natural Language Processing (NLP) or expert systems.
- Data integration from disparate sources such as flat files, XML, etc.
- Strong understanding of medical genetics, pharmacogenetics, molecular pathology, or oncology.
- Knowledge of software development best practices, quality controls, testing techniques.
- Automating workflows/pipelines, using tools such as Ant, Hudson/Jenkins, etc.
- Supervising or leading complex projects and/or teams.
- 3+ years of experience in a product development, or industry setting.
- Excellent critical and analytical thinking with strong attention to detail.
- Energetic and open-minded individual with excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Enthusiasm to learn new technologies, explore diverse content, and algorithms.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.