In this position, you will be a key part of the product team reporting to the VP of Engineering and Operations and responsible for all aspects of software development for QIAGEN’s SaaS Bioinformatics products. You will be responsible for staffing and managing the software development team, driving team culture, best practices and, in collaboration with the content, marketing and support teams, set the strategy and product direction of our multi-product business. You should have experience managing agile teams in a continuous integration environment, building multiple SaaS products on a shared, modular platform and delivering sophisticated products with high quality and predictable schedules. The ideal candidate will be passionate about the potential of next generation sequencing data analytics, computation and visualization of complex scientific data, knowledge extraction / management, machine learning, building simple but elegant software solutions and delivering customer-centric products. Leadership, communication, prioritization and a focus on excellence are essential characteristics for this role.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Lead and grow existing organization of Development Managers, Technical Architects, and Developers.
- Manage and facilitate multiple development teams, both local and remote, to ensure software development efforts meet corporate quality objectives and launch targets.
- Identify both strategic opportunities and potential threats associated with emerging technologies and execute software development plans that ensure products remain best-of-breed.
- Champion software development best practices within the organization including but not limited to: design, architecture, code re-use, performance, and quality.
- Continuously appraise effectiveness of software development organization through objective metrics for improvement.
- Identify and evaluate software acquisition opportunities and lead buy-vs-build decision-making process.
- Prioritize, direct and appraise the activities of development managers, project leads and developers.
- Determine, justify and obtain approval for project resources, personnel, and budget necessary for projects that meet corporate needs.
- Coordinate with product management, quality and product support management to ensure that the needs of all projects in the product line are met.
- Collaborate with product management by providing technical insight and judgment of feature/schedule/cost tradeoffs.
- Ensure that product architecture and technology decisions support emerging trends, corporate strategies and future direction of the products.
- Prioritize and manages resource allocation for the products based on changing business priorities, direction and budget.
- Interact with other business areas and executive management on development issues and opportunities.
- Attend, speak and/or participate at appropriate conferences.
- Partner with corporate business leadership to analyze, consult, drive, develop and oversee the delivery of new business applications and features which support key business objectives and strategies.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Must have excellent project management skills and expertise (Agile Development), and be able to mentor managers and project leads on software development best practices and processes.
- Must be able to exercise sound judgment, discretion, and timeliness in decision making.
- Must be able to clearly communicate project status, results, unresolved issues and other key concerns in a proactive and timely manner.
- Must be able to communicate with customers and determine their needs working in conjunction with product management.
- Must provide excellent leadership and mentoring to the development organization.
- Must have excellent communication skills, both written and oral.
- Must demonstrate strong professionalism and react well under pressure and stressful circumstances.
- Must adjust leadership skills to meet the diverse needs of individuals and teams.
- Must be capable of gaining support for initiatives and projects through influence and use of business rationale.
- Must be able to lead by example - articulate, tenacious, and yielding - causes things to happen toward a certain conclusion.
- Must demonstrate relationship building, networking and collaboration, negotiation, influencing, and persuasion skills.
- Must be able to create an environment which fosters diversity.
- 10+ years of experience in the software industry, 5+ years managing technical teams.
- Excellent knowledge of SaaS, SOA, OOP, Unix, Web Services and Java development in a cross platform environment.
- Excellent knowledge of Continuous Development, Integration, and Deployment.
- Experience leading small and large development organizations (5 - 50+ people).
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong analytic and problem-solving skills.
- A proven track record of building and managing high performing engineering teams.
- A passion for people management and mentorship.
- Experience with analytics and visualization of complex data.
- Experience in the application of machine learning.
- Bachelors in Computer Science/Engineering or equivalent experience (Masters preferred).
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.