QIAGEN Bioinformatics is a leading provider of software and curated biomedical knowledge bases used by life scientists to gain insight from the molecular information in their biological samples. We have developed industry-leading software tools for analysis, investigation, and reporting of biological data. We are passionate about our users, products, and our vision, and are seeking smart, motivated engineers and scientists who are eager to join our world-class team in creating software that actually helps improve people’s lives.
Our mission is to make improvements in life possible. We accomplish this by designing products and tools used in labs all over the world to facilitate scientific discovery and progress, focused in genomics.
This position is located at the QIAGEN office in Redwood City, CA. We offer a professional work environment, competitive benefits, and value work-life balance.
About the opportunity:
As a Senior Associate Staff Software Engineer, you will:
- Provide solutions to complex business problems, requiring sound architectural and software engineering background, strong technical leadership and background in highly scalable web based consumer applications development;
- Design and develop cutting edge web applications and user interfaces, and high-performance components/sub-systems for highly scalable service oriented software;
- Use best practices and architectural rigor during the software design process, providing input on alternative strategies and solutions; and
- Write well-documented, extensible software code that is easy to maintain, and that adheres to generally accept programming standards and OOP practices.
Highly proficient (5-7 years of experience) in:
- JAVA, with strong understanding of multi-threading programming and large scale, distributed, web-based SaaS applications
- Web services (such as Spring and RESTful)
- Continuous Development, Integration, and Deployment
- Relational databases (including data modeling and performance tuning) and NoSQL databases
- OOP concepts, design patterns, SaaS, SOA, Unix and Java development in a cross-platform environment
- Analyzing and defining requirements, and translating them into technical specifications and architecture
- Scalability/performance issues and optimization techniques
- Good organizational skills
- Time management
- Ability to work with team
- Positive, problem-solving attitude
- Ability to give and take constructive feedback
- Bachelors in Computer Science required. Masters preferred.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.