In this position, you will manage and provide technical leadership of the product team, be part of the site leadership council, and responsible for development for the OmicSoft product line at the Cary, North Carolina development site. Reporting to the site VP, you will be responsible for staffing and day-to-day management of the team, drive team culture, best practices and, working with other product line development managers, drive integration across development teams in other geographies. You should have experience managing agile teams in a continuous integration environment, building multiple products on a shared, modular platform and delivering complex products with high quality and predictable schedules. The ideal candidate will be passionate about the potential of bioinformatics and next generation sequencing data analytics, computation and visualization of complex scientific data, knowledge extraction / management, building simple but elegant software solutions and delivering customer-centric products.
Leadership, communication, prioritization and a focus on excellence are essential characteristics for this role.
- Lead and grow existing organization of managers and individual contributors.
- Manage and facilitate multiple development teams, to ensure development efforts meet corporate quality objectives and launch targets.
- Identify strategic opportunities and potential threats associated with emerging technologies and execute development plans that ensure OmicSoft products remain best-of-breed.
- Champion development best practices within the organization including but not limited to: design, architecture, re-use, performance, and quality.
- Prioritize, direct and appraise the activities of development managers, project leads and developers.
- Assist product management by providing technical insight and judgment of feature/schedule/cost tradeoffs.
- Ensure that product architecture and technology decisions support business area strategies and future direction of product lines.
- Prioritize and manage resource allocations based on changing business priorities, direction and budget.
- Interact with executive management on site and development issues / opportunities.
- Attend, speak and/or participate at appropriate conferences.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Must have excellent project management skills and expertise (Agile Development), and be able to mentor managers and project leads on development best practices and processes.
- Must be able to exercise sound judgment, discretion, and timeliness in decision making.
- Must be able to clearly communicate project status, results, unresolved issues and other key concerns in a proactive and timely manner.
- Must be able to communicate with customers and determine their needs working in conjunction with product management.
- Must provide excellent leadership and mentoring to the development organization.
- Must have excellent communication skills, written and oral.
- Must demonstrate strong professionalism and react well under pressure and stressful circumstances.
- Must be capable of gaining support for initiatives and projects through influence and use of business rationale.
- Must be able to create an environment which fosters diversity.
- 10+ years of experience in the software industry, 5+ years managing technical teams.
- Experience in the field of Bioinformatics
- Excellent knowledge of SaaS, SOA, OOP, .NET and cross platform environments.
- Excellent knowledge of Continuous Development, Integration, and Deployment.
- Experience leading small to mid-sized organizations (20+ people).
- A proven track record of building and managing high performing teams.
- Bachelors in Computer Science/Engineering or equivalent experience (Masters preferred).
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.