QIAGEN established QIAGEN Bioinformatics in 2014, based on the acquisitions of Ingenuity, CLC bio, BIOBASE, and more recently OmicSoft and are worldwide leaders of bioinformatics content, applications and interpretation. The primary mission of QIAGEN Bioinformatics is to integrate and streamline the solutions to provide sample-to-insight workflows to the benefits of our users in the discovery, translational, and clinical fields.
This is a unique opportunity to join the QIAGEN Bioinformatics team responsible for commercialising QIAGEN's bioinformatics products. The Field Application Scientist (FAS) position allows you to interact with a wide range of researchers across different scientific disciplines to promote software solutions and services that provide superior NGS and multi-omic data analysis and biological interpretation, and to provide product and scientific advice to key accounts.
The FAS will work strategically with the Bioinformatics Enterprise Solutions Team and alongside the Bioinformatics Sales and Support Teams to support key accounts and early- access clients in the pre-sales phase by delivering scientific software demonstrations, conducting software evaluations and product training to help potential clients understand the value of QIAGEN's bioinformatics applications, services and solutions. In some cases, the FAS will work closely with both commercial and software engineering teams as part of a project management team structured to ensure post-sales client success.
This is a field-based role, ideally based in the United Kingdom but can be located elsewhere in Europe provided there are excellent airport connections to major destinations in the Middle East and Europe. Candidates should be prepared to experience periods of up to 60% travel, although average annual levels will be less. Most travel will be to and within the Middle East and Europe.
The successful candidate for the role will be expected to:
- Engage in scientific discussions with customers and cultivate relationships.
- Train and support new customers and commercial partners.
- Analyse and interpret large molecular datasets such as DNA-Seq, RNA-Seq, microarray and proteomics data and microbiology data for clinical and basic research purposes.
- Be the technical expert on QIAGEN Bioinformatics Applications and provide scientific presentations, compelling pre-sales product demonstrations, and scientific workshops to showcase the value and effectiveness of QIAGEN Bioinformatics.
- Collect and understand project requirements from customers and interpret those for engineering team.
- Ph.D. or equivalent strong professional experience in bioinformatics, molecular biology or genetics-related fields of study stressing next-generation data analysis and biological interpretation of Next Generation Sequencing data, ideally using the CLC Genomics or Biomedical Genomics Workbench, Ingenuity Pathway Analysis (IPA), Ingenuity Variant Analysis (IVA) or OmicSoft Array Suite.
- Aptitude in Unix/Linux operating system, command-line software environments.
- Aptitude for understanding, communicating, and training scientific concepts, applications and methods.
- Ability to multitask a variety of assignments and proven ability to meet strict deadlines.
- Ability to be flexible and creative, and work in a fast-paced, high-growth environment.
- Fast, self-starter with the ability to handle and manage multiple tasks in a result-orientated commercial environment.
- Excellent project and network management skills and strong organisational skills are required.
- Experience within agile software development or project management within software development is highly preferred.
- Demonstrated excellent written, presentation, and verbal skills including strong public speaking experience.
- Excellent interpersonal and relationship-building skills
- Demonstrated exceptional analytical and problem solving skills.
- Ability to travel up to 60% of the time, including overnight stays and weekend-travel where applicable.
- Experience as a remote, field-based employee desirable.