Penn Medicine's “Center for Health Care Innovation” is looking to add a Software Engineer to their team!
The Center for Health Care Innovation is building on its foundation of successfully developing and deploying applications to improve health care delivery, patient outcomes and population health. The Software Engineer will work within the small (under ten people) team that is focused on novel technology that advances and enables innovation. You will also work closely with passionate, mission-driven clinicians to explore opportunities to transform care. We design and build systems for rapid experimentation: prototyping and developing a variety of tools used by clinical care teams, researchers, and patients. The position will play a critical role in building and supporting these systems. To date, our team's work has helped keep people out of the hospital and dramatically reduce readmissions, automate manual work saving millions of dollars for the health system, rapidly scale effective telehealth interventions, simplify communications with patients and identify insights to improve our patients' experience.
The Software Engineer is responsible for both back-end and front-end architecture and development, software quality assurance, database administration, and systems administration. Due to our approach of rapid prototyping the position demands expertise in a variety of languages and technologies. This position requires a high degree of engagement and resourcefulness as well as outstanding communication and organizational skills.
The Penn Medicine Center for Health Care Innovation facilitates the rapid, disciplined development, testing and implementation of new strategies to reimagine health care delivery, improve patient outcomes, patient and clinician experience, and reduce the cost of care. We believe the best way to make big improvements to patient health and health care delivery is to experiment quickly at low cost, only scaling once we find high impact solutions. The Center provides an exciting and fast-paced opportunity for motivated, entrepreneurial individuals to effect meaningful, systemic change at Penn Medicine and across the healthcare industry.
• Development: Building functionality in software systems including web applications, phone applications, and bidirectional text messaging.
• Quality Assurance: Evolving and supporting QA processes, writing automated unit and functional tests for new features, documenting work clearly, reviewing other developers' code, and integrating with automated monitoring systems.
• Support: Diagnosing reported issues, identifying the source of problems, determining an appropriate path to resolution and implementing fixes.
• Product: Collaborating with the other team members, users, and stakeholders to provide feedback into product development and architecting new features.
• Process Improvement: Participating in agile development and working with the team to iteratively improve our processes to ship excellence in code, user experience, and customer support.
• Infrastructure: Working with infrastructure providers to plan for future needs. Working within the environment of Azure, Linux, Git, systems integration, and Continuous Integration.
• Performs duties in accordance with Penn Medicine and entity values, policies, and procedures
• Other duties as assigned to support the unit, department, entity, and health system organization
Required Education and Experience:
• Bachelor’s Degree required; preferably in Engineering
• 5+ years of professional experience in Full-stack application development is required
Required Skills and Abilities:
• Expertise in Node.js
• Demonstrated knowledge of database design and management, preferably MySQL, PostgreSQL, and MongoDB
• Fluency with web APIs including REST, JSON format, and authorization schemes.
• Strong understanding of the web protocols such as HTTP, authentication, and cookies.
• Experience writing automated tests
• Ability to manage concurrent design and development projects in a dynamic challenging environment while meeting project deadlines.
• Ability to diagnose and solve complex user-reported or system-identified issues in production.
• Experience with Git
• Detail oriented with the ability to work independently or as part of a team.
Preferred Skills and Abilities:
• Linux OS
• Microsoft Azure
• Electronic Health Records, health data, and related protocols
• Rapid prototyping, Lean Startup, and related methodologies
As part of our COVID-19 response, this position may currently be offering partial or full remote work. However, in the near future this position will require full or partial on-site work.