The Director of Strategic Operations provides oversight of the Center for Health Care Innovation's operations, engages key partners across the health system, and supports teams to accelerate and scale high potential projects. This position requires a high degree of sophistication, resourcefulness, creativity, and the ability to lead by influencing others at all levels across the organization. The Director must have the ability to develop and cultivate stakeholder relationships, evaluate outcomes, conduct economic analyses and craft business cases, manage and develop staff, and refine and extend the Center's toolkits to ensure that staff can advance projects efficiently and effectively towards implementation and impact.
The Penn Medicine Center for Health Care Innovation facilitates the rapid, disciplined development, testing and implementation of new strategies to reimagine health care delivery, improve patient outcomes, patient and clinician experience, and reduce the cost of care. We believe the best way to make big improvements to patient health and health care delivery is to experiment quickly at low cost, only scaling once we find high impact solutions. The Center provides an exciting and fast-paced opportunity for motivated, entrepreneurial individuals to effect systemic change at Penn Medicine and across the health care industry.
• Establish and manage operating mechanisms and lightweight processes to enable a high-performance team.
• Manage staff, helping them grow professionally in their desired path and become more effective in generating material outcomes.
• Identify opportunities for continuous development on the team, including creating new positions for maturing staff and responding to feedback regarding the work environment and culture.
• Refine and extend the Center’s toolkits to ensure that staff has access to resources to advance projects efficiently and effectively towards implementation and impact.
• Engage and align key operational stakeholders across Penn Medicine on objectives and approaches to complex projects and work to remove obstacles as necessary.
• Support staff to craft economic analyses and business cases supporting further investment beyond high impact pilots.
• Deliver consistent reporting on outcomes and impact at scale across the portfolio.
• Influence the field’s understanding of how to integrate measurement and evaluation into a design-led innovation approach by developing toolkits and case studies.
• Performs duties in accordance with Penn Medicine and entity values, policies, and procedures
• Other duties as assigned to support the unit, department, entity, and health system organization
Required Education and Experience:
• Bachelor's Degree required
• 7+ years of professional or equivalent experience in a related field
Required Skills and Abilities:
• Demonstrated ability to manage others (directly or indirectly)
• Demonstrated ability to motivate and energize teams and stakeholders
• Empathy to understand diverse perspectives and the nuances of what drives observable behaviors and opinions
• Negotiation skills to engage and establish key terms with external partners who can accelerate projects and outcomes
• Excellent communication skills, with the ability to write persuasively, tell compelling stories to bring ideas to life and engage an audience when presenting
• Be an ambassador for the department and the organization
• Professional maturity to interact with health system employees and patients in a sensitive clinical environment
As part of our COVID-19 response, this position may currently be offering partial or full remote work. However, in the near future this position will require full or partial on-site work.
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.