Penn Medicine's Information Services area is looking for a Data Science Software Engineer
The Data Science Software Engineer will be responsible for leading design, implementation, and maintenance of our data science and predictive healthcare platform that aggregates medical data from our EMR (time series, imagery, text), social media data, wearables, and IoT to enable data driven app development.
In this role you will build and lead the development of our predictive healthcare platform that can reliably scale to the needs of our data scientists, algorithms developers, and clinical partners. You will participate in the decision-making and development at all layers of the data platform and user experience. This includes choosing and deploying infrastructure (e.g. Spark, Kafka, MongoDB, Cassandra), building frameworks designed to speed up and facilitate algorithm development, and developing a micro-service architecture designed to democratize predictive models for everyone in the organization.
You will work jointly with the Application Development and Predictive Healthcare teams. The Application Development team has experience in and responsibility for building secure custom applications, APIs, integrations, and processes used throughout Penn Medicine. Likewise, the Predictive Healthcare team, under the Chief Data Scientist has experience in and responsibility for designing and building predictive applications and integrating them into existing workflows and processes.
• Software development and technical support of the data streaming, storage, and retrieval processes for our core system, to improve efficiency, scalability, security, and stability.
• Participate in planning, development of specifications, project plans, and other supporting documentation and processes
• Aid in planning future infrastructure requirements
• Design, create and manage platform-specific APIs.
• Design and create new data processing systems as necessary.
• Design, create, and manage user front-end solutions
• Build robust, high-volume production software.
• Performs duties in accordance with Penn Medicine and entity values, policies, and procedures
• Other duties as assigned to support the unit, department, entity, and health system organization
Minimum Experience and Education Required:
• Bachelor’s degree required, preferably in Data Science, Computer Science, Mathematics or Statistics
• Current Internal Penn Medicine Information Services division employees may be considered with proof of active and continued enrollment in an approved bachelor degree program.
• Master’s degree preferred
• 4+ years of professional software development experience required
• Exceptional coding and design skills in Python, C++, Go, and/or Java
• Experience with programming tools, including Integrated Development Environments, issue-tracking tools (ie, Jira), programmer-level text editors, batch script utilities, and continuous integration tools (eg, Travis or Circle CI.)
• Production experience with continuous deployment platforms and tools, including Docker and Docker-compose; Alpine Linux; micro-service infrastructure (eg, Hashicorp or Kubernetes); and cloud platforms (eg, Azure, GCP, or AWS.)
• Experience with an automation and configuration management tool, such as Terraform or Ansible.
Be a part of the exciting and ground-breaking upcoming years for the Penn Medicine Information Services department!
Because growth is essential to continuing to meet the current and future needs of patients, Penn Medicine continues to expand its capabilities.
Penn Medicine's Information Services (IS) Department focuses its efforts on the clinical and financial systems that support the day-to-day operations of four hospitals, several satellite practices, and more than 2,000 physicians.
Learn more about Information Services