Penn Medicine Princeton Health is seeking a Nursing Assistant to join our Critical Care Unit in Plainsboro, NJ. This is a part-time day shift opportunity.
The ideal candidate will be available to work 24 hours/week: (Optional 8-hour or 12-hour shifts)
Work Schedule for 8-hour shifts:
•Work three (3) 8-hour shifts 7:00am-3:00pm (inclusive of weekend)
• Work 1 weekend per month (Saturday and/or Sunday)
Work Schedule 12-hour shifts:
• Work one 12-hour shift 7:00am-7:00pm
• Work 1 weekend per month (Saturday or Sunday)
The Llura & Gordon Gund - Center for Critical Care is a 24 bed unit, of which, 8 beds are designated as IMCU (Intermediate Care Unit). The Center for Critical Care is located on the 3rd floor (West Side) of the Atkinson Pavilion. The Critical Care Unit is a specialized unit in the hospital where patients with critical illness or injury receive extensive, round-the-clock care and monitoring. Through the program, the care of each patient in the ICU is carefully and closely managed by a compassionate team of intensivists. This model of care is known as a "closed" ICU, because the care of all patients is coordinated by staff intensivists.
As a Nursing Assistant in the Critical Care Unit you will be responsible for assisting nurses in the delivery of nursing care provided to critical or unstable adult patients requiring intensive treatment, monitoring and complex nursing care. Nursing Assistants participate as members of the treatment team in creating and maintaining a safe and therapeutic milieu.
We care for individuals with conditions resulting from:
• Acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS)
• Chronic Heart Failure (CHF)
• Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)
• End-Stage Renal Disease (ESRD)
• ST-Elevation Myocardial Infarction (STEMI with PCI)
• Substance withdrawal
• Diabetic emergencies
Some job functions and duties will include, but are not limited to:
• Assists nurses in the delivery of nursing care in the Critical Care Department.
• Makes observations of patient condition and reports and documents information as requested.
• Demonstrates the knowledge and skill as it pertains to patient hygiene, vital signs, emptying and documenting of urine outputs, procedures, etc.
• Performs and documents nursing care activities as assigned, consistent with established procedures.
• Performs daily audits such as; ensuring the temperatures of medication refrigerators are within the specified guidelines and any other audits, as assigned by the nurse or nurse manager.
• Participates in keeping the nursing unit clean and well organized (i.e. patient rooms, work stations, and hallways).
• Obtains, stocks, and organizes patient care and unit supplies.
• Uses products, supplies, and equipment in an efficient manner, keeping waste within department limits as observed by peers and supervision.
• Identifies and reports broken or malfunctioning equipment or needed repairs on the unit.
• Exhibits good communication skills with patients/families and co-workers and is able to make suggestions regarding the patient's needs for nursing care.
• Participates in quality assurance activities on the unit by attending unit staff meetings and meeting annual required in-services standard and maintains competency through annual in-services and/or education.
• Responsible for transferring patients to other units or to the front corridor to be discharged home.
• Performs job tasks in accordance with hospital and department policy and procedure, including appropriate use of equipment, machines, appropriate use in wearing of physical barriers and safety equipment.
• High School Diploma or equivalent - required
• Completion of UAP course or Nursing 101
Licensure, Certification or Registration Requirements:
• Basic Life Saving certification (BLS) for healthcare providers
Related Work Experience:
• Not required but prefer six months of Nursing Assistant experience or current enrollment in LPN/RN nursing program with successful completion of Nursing I.
Specialized Skills & Knowledge Requirements:
• Customer Service skills
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.