The NBA Legal Department provides advice and counsel with respect to the League’s activities and businesses on a global basis. The Associate Counsel, Integrity and Investigations, will support the company’s efforts to monitor, investigate, and remedy integrity-related issues across the League, with a focus on gaming. The Associate Counsel will be responsible for conducting and supporting investigations and other related legal matters, as needed.
The Associate Counsel will collaborate with individuals from various league office departments to collect and identify information that may evidence an integrity risk to the organization, and will help oversee a methodology and platform to track and analyze such data. The Associate Counsel will work with external resources, including companies that conduct ongoing monitoring of the gaming industry, to ensure that the League is obtaining and interpreting timely, accurate, and significant information. The Associate Counsel will track legal and other developments in the gaming industry to identify and interpret trends, understand new gaming technologies, and explore monitoring solutions to ensure that the League is at the forefront of these issues. The Associate Counsel will also develop and implement training and education programs related to integrity. To the extent integrity issues arise, the Associate Counsel will assist in the investigation of any possible misconduct.
The Associate Counsel will support investigations across a range of other areas, including with respect to players, referees, and other league and team employees, in connection with litigation or other matters, or to help enforce league rules.
• Support the League-wide integrity monitoring program, including:
• Coordinating with other departments and third-parties to identify internal and external sources of meaningful information and assisting in the process of data collection;
• Identifying, researching, and maintaining data analytics platform(s) to manage the ongoing monitoring of internal and external information related to gaming;
• Identifying integrity issues for review and assisting in the investigation and review of such matters; and
• Maintaining a reporting mechanism and protocols to ensure appropriate communication within all levels of the organization
• Monitor legal and other developments related to sports-betting and the gaming industry
• Assist in the investigation of any potential integrity-related or other misconduct, including working with outside counsel
• Communicate (in writing and orally) to the General Counsel and other senior League executives regarding integrity matters and related legal developments
Required Experience & Knowledge:
• Minimum of four years' employment at a federal or state prosecutorial office or similar government agency with investigative experience
• Prosecutorial experience strongly preferred
• Integrity monitoring experience and/or understanding of the gaming industry preferred
• Exceptional problem solving and issue-spotting skills
• Excellent oral and written communication skills
• Excellent interpersonal and time management capabilities
Educational Background Required:
- J.D. from a top U.S. law school required
We Consider Applicants For All Positions On The Basis Of Merit, Qualifications And Business Needs, And Without Regard To Race, Color, National Origin, Religion, Sex, Gender Identity, Age, Disability, Alienage Or Citizenship Status, Ancestry, Marital Status, Creed, Genetic Predisposition Or Carrier Status, Sexual Orientation, Veteran Status, Familial Status, Status As A Victim Of Domestic Violence Or Any Other Status Or Characteristic Protected By Applicable Federal, State, Or Local Law.