We’re looking for those individuals—the creative thinkers and innovation seekers—who are content with nothing short of changing the world. Discover the endless opportunities within the Medical College of Wisconsin (MCW) and be inspired by the work we can do together to improve health, and make a positive, daily impact in our communities. In the role of Audaxity Managing Director you will be working in the Cancer Center.
Under the direction of the Director of the Medical College of Wisconsin Cancer Center (MCWCC) and the Audaxity Ride Chair (Nelson Williams), the MCWCC Annual Philanthropic Bike Ride Event Director oversees the planning, implementation, and evaluation of the fundraising and organization-wide events for the MCWCC Bike Ride. The Event Manager will work to ensure the event’s success and provide an exceptional experience for attendees, staff, and volunteers. This position will collaborate with the MCWCC Development and MCWCC Strategic Communications/Brand team to develop specific fundraising goals and annual budgets and to ensure integrated messaging and communication strategies.
The successful candidate will interface with multiple partners to execute an annual bicycling event of 1,500+ riders with a budget in excess of $2M and philanthropic projections of up to $7M.
The position of MCWCC Annual Bike Ride Event Director is critical to the success of the overall development efforts of MCWCC. The position requires a dedicated, detail oriented, relationship builder to make a significant impact at MCWCC and on our fundraising goals. A positive disposition is paramount, as well as strong written and verbal communication skills and the ability to excel both independently and as part of a team.
Responsibilities will include securing significant corporate sponsorship, managing a $2M + budget, recruiting, training and inspiring riders, staff and a large number of volunteers, managing senior leadership schedules to interface with corporate and community members and serving as the primary face of the MCWCC Ride in the community and throughout the state.
- Oversee the execution of MCWCC’s Annual Fundraising Bike Ride to include planning and execution of the logistics; vision; budgeting; committee oversight; stewardship; and evaluation of the MCWCC Bike Race.
- Serve as liaison between the MCWCC Director, Audaxity Ride Chair, Logistics Management Company, and Marketing Management Company to define and meet strategic goals, logistical details, manage schedules and deliverables and execute the ride to successful completion.
- Prepare and manage the $2M Bike Race budget with philanthropic projections of up to $7M, ensuring events are meeting financial goals and expenses are within budget parameters. Work with the MCWCC Business Manager on reporting for finance.
- Build and maintain internal relationships with MCW Foundation, MCW Central Development, MCW and MCWCC Marketing, and MCW Legal.
- Secure significant corporate sponsorships. Collaborate with the Development Team to develop best practices and benefit packages regarding existing and prospective event sponsors.
- Recruit, train and provide leadership and direction to the Bike Ride Staff ride recruiter, volunteers, and Board of Directors on all events via reports, meetings, and other communications.
- Work with the MCW Foundation to ensure proper protocols are being followed.
- Supervise ride recruiter.
- Use data analytics to review and ensure that event strategies, goals, and intended outcomes are updated, implemented, and fit well within the overall fundraising strategies.
- Supports the overall efforts of the MCWCC Development Team and the Central Development Office
Event Promotion and Execution:
- Manage all logistics and planning of launch parties or recruitment events throughout the year leading up to the bike ride and post-event.
- Develop and maintain timelines and project plans to ensure each aspect of the event is on track.
- Contact and vet vendors.
- Act as one of the main contacts for the day-of fundraising events.
- Manage all fundraising event timelines. Work with the logistics management company and the marketing management company to create plans that accurately reflect the department’s roles and to maintain and monitor these timelines.
- Collaborate with the MCWCC/MCW Brand team on the messaging, marketing, and visual aspects of the event, including the media sponsorships and management of signage needs.
- Work with marketing company and MCW Development Communications team on website – content creation, end-user experience, fundraising updates, and technical issues; brand identity; marketing materials and design; video production.
- Collaborate with the MCWCC Communications area to provide and review copy for all event materials, including digital and print pieces.
- In coordination with the Director of Advancement Services, implement a software solution that will facilitate registration and peer to peer fundraising activities.
- Coordinate all electronic and print communications, content creation, graphic development related to sponsors, stakeholders, volunteers and riders
- Manage all social media regarding the ride – Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter to maintain all MCW branding protocols.
Rider and Volunteer Recruitment:
- Identify, cultivate and recruit individual and corporate teams of riders through face to face visits and group presentations both on and off campus; goal of 1500 riders recruited.
- Manage the Volunteer Services team to sufficiently plan for the event’s volunteer needs while facilitating positive and effective volunteer engagement.
- Manage the MCWCC staff’s collaboration with the Donor Service team to monitor the registration process for all fundraising events including data entry, seating, list production, and acknowledgements.
- Coordinate visits and schedules for MCWCC leadership and consultants to participate in rider recruitment efforts.
- Manage the recruitment and training of approximately 500+ volunteers for the event.
- Manage the organization of bike ride team meetings.
- Field telephone and email inquiries regarding the ride.
- Ensure every participant can successfully achieve his or her fundraising goal through training, support and encouragement.
Knowledge – Skills – Abilities
We are seeking candidates for this position that:
Are passionate about and truly enjoy producing events. They tend to be positive, energetic, and work well in a teams and independently.
Are confident in their communication skills and see the importance in healthy communication practices.
Have a history of jumping head-first into a project and supporting their team.
Are forward-thinking and enjoy using their creativity to problem-solve and think of the big picture.
Add to the fun and supportive culture of the organization.
Invite change and are always looking for ways to improve processes.
08:00 a to 4:30 p
Appropriate experience may be substituted for education on an equivalent basis
Minimum Required Education: Bachelor’s degree
Minimum Required Experience: 8 years
Preferred Experience: 5 + years of related event or development experience; proven fundraising success with corporate partners in a nonprofit, corporate or foundation environment; demonstrated ability to independently develop relationships; ability to work with outside volunteers/donors to manage and support peer to peer fundraising efforts; execute multiple timelines, budgets and logistics; ability to motivate people in to action; knowledge of marketing and administration of large scale sporting/fundraising events is a plus; experience with peer to peer fundraising software and campaigns; strong written and oral communication skills.
- Outstanding Healthcare Coverage, including but not limited to Health, Vision, and Dental. Along with Flexible Spending options
- 403B Retirement Package
- Competitive Vacation and Paid Holidays offered
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Paid Parental Leave
- Pet Insurance
- On campus Fitness Facility, offering onsite classes.
- Additional discounted rates on items such as: Select cell phone plans, local fitness facilities, Milwaukee recreation and entertainment etc.
For a full list of positions see: www.mcw.edu/careers
For a brief overview of our benefits see: https://www.mcw.edu/departments/human-resources/benefits
Eastern Wisconsin is a vibrant, diverse metropolitan area. MCW is intent on attracting, developing, and retaining a diverse workforce and faculty body that reflects the community we serve. We value diversity of backgrounds, experience, thought, and perspectives to advance excellence in science and medicine. MCW is a welcoming campus community with a strong culture of collaboration, partnership, and engagement with our surrounding community. For more information, please visit our institutional website at https://www.mcw.edu/departments/office-of-diversity-and-inclusion.
MCW as an Equal Opportunity Employer and Commitment to Non-Discrimination
The Medical College of Wisconsin (MCW) is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to fostering a diverse community of outstanding faculty, staff, and students, as well as ensuring equal educational opportunity, employment, and access to services, programs, and activities, without regard to an individual's race, color, national origin, religion, age, disability, sex, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, predisposing genetic characteristic, or military status. Employees, students, applicants or other members of the MCW community (including but not limited to vendors, visitors, and guests) may not be subjected to harassment that is prohibited by law or treated adversely or retaliated against based upon a protected characteristic.