Under the direction of others, provide animal husbandry, health monitoring and support services for laboratory animals to facilitate research activities.
• Sanitize animal rooms, cages, equipment, corridors & support areas by using appropriate techniques to promote animal health & welfare and to comply with policies. Care may include specialized, non-conventional areas of the facility. Provide nutrition for animals by supplying feed & water.
• Assess animal health status by gathering and documenting data and observing animals in their environment to detect and report abnormal conditions.
• Handle, restrain and transport animals by using appropriate techniques to allow for the care and research to be performed in a safe and humane manner.
• Sanitize, organize and maintain animal cages and equipment by operating cage washer, tunnel washer, bedding dispensers and autoclave. Sanitize corridors and support areas using appropriate techniques to promote animal health and welfare and to comply with policies. Perform maintenance and ensure proper operation of equipment and machinery in cage wash.
• Monitor environment and/or machinery and equipment by obtaining, documenting and comparing data against established standards. Maintain records by collecting and recording data to facilitate management of the facility.
• Administer treatments, euthanize animals and provide assistance during special procedures by acting under the direction of others to facilitate research and/or clinical activities.
• Receive and properly process various shipments from loading dock. Properly package waste materials.
• Attend in-house training classes to become more knowledgeable in laboratory animal science.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
M-F; 40 hrs wk with daily overtime; weekends and holidays as scheduled required
Knowledge – Skills – Abilities
Willingness to work hard and be open to learning new tasks. Ability to work independently and as part of a team. Excellent communication and problem solving skills. Ability to closely follow established procedures. Strong attention to detail and ability to closely follow established procedures. Critical thinking, resource management, computer and writing skills.
Appropriate education and/or experience may be substituted on equivalent basis
Minimum Required Education: High School Diploma
Minimum Required Experience: No experience required
Preferred Education: Associate degree or higher
Preferred Experience: Previous animal handling
Field: Science or veterinary related
Certification: Assistant Lab Animal Technician (ALAT) at time of hire is preferred
Work requires movement of feed, bedding, cages, and other equipment require regular pushing, pulling and lifting of heavy objects. Must climb, balance, stoop, kneel and crouch and stand or walk continuously. Must be able to manipulate equipment using both hands. Perceive attributes of objects such as size and shape using fingers and hands. Many repetitive motions are required, including wrist rotations, stoops, body turns, reaching overhead and lifts.
Frequent exposure to hazards such as dust, fumes, or extreme temperatures, airborne or blood borne pathogens, extreme temperatures, or animal allergens. Possibility of exposure to bites, scratches and zoonotic diseases. May be required to work in areas where biohazards or radioactive substances are used.
Ability to detect and translate speech or other communication required. May occasionally require the ability to distinguish colors and perceive relative distances between objects. Must have sufficient visual acuity to perform activities such as repeated close visual inspection involving observing small defects and objects, minor physical changes in animals, viewing a computer terminal, extensive reading, and operation of machinery.
Occasional exposure to dust, noise, temperature changes, or contact with water or other liquids. Exposure to animal wastes, chemicals, acids, odors, loud noises, heat, humidity and wet surfaces is to be expected. Work is performed in an environmentally controlled environment.
MCW as an Equal Opportunity Employer and Commitment to Non-Discrimination
The Medical College of Wisconsin (MCW) is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to fostering a diverse community of outstanding faculty, staff, and students, as well as ensuring equal educational opportunity, employment, and access to services, programs, and activities, without regard to an individual's race, color, national origin, religion, age, disability, sex, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, predisposing genetic characteristic, or military status. Employees, students, applicants or other members of the MCW community (including but not limited to vendors, visitors, and guests) may not be subjected to harassment that is prohibited by law or treated adversely or retaliated against based upon a protected characteristic.