Senior non-faculty researcher, use fundamental and advanced concepts, practices, and procedures of particular field of specialization to design and perform complex scientific research.
• Plan and complete the most complex procedures: participate in discovery projects.
• Oversee organization, coding, synthesis and analysis of findings.
• Review research methodologies; plan, develop and compose protocols for implementation, assessment, testing, cost effectiveness, and quality.
• Supervise staff including hiring, training, performance reviews, coaching and corrective actions; oversee daily operations of the laboratory.
• Oversee assignments to researchers, biostatisticians, data analysts, and other members of the research team including staff members, who gather, code, enter and track data.
• Plan and perform statistical analyses using advanced techniques; determine and review statistical findings with investigators and recommend design modifications in study protocols.
• Prepare scientific reports, outcome findings and scientific manuscripts. Assist in outcome interpretation and composition of the results sections of manuscripts and reports.
• Participate in meetings with principle investigator and research staff and evaluate/interpret the validity of data, develop methodologies, evaluate lab procedures.
• Train students, residents and post-doctoral fellows in specific research protocols; develop training materials.
• Develop, implement and maintain a computerized record system for reporting results.
• Design and execute of syntheses of chemical biology tool compounds and biologically active drug-like compounds.
• Characterize synthesized compounds using nuclear magnetic resonance, mass spectrometry, and other techniques as necessary.
Knowledge – Skills – Abilities
Knowledge of biology, synthetic organic and medicinal chemistry, mathematics, documentation, and records management.
Data utilization, complex problem solving, critical thinking, resource management, and writing skills.
Reports to (Title): Professor of Biochemistry
Direct Reports (Titles): Up to two Research Technologists
Collaborates with (Titles): Faculty investigators in multiple departments
Minimum Required Education: PhD in a scientific field
Minimum Required Experience: 3 years
Preferred Education: PhD in organic chemistry plus 2 years postdoctoral training in medicinal chemistry
Preferred Experience: 2+ years as a synthetic organic chemist in an industrial or academic medicinal chemistry research environment
Field: Synthetic organic and medicinal chemistry
Grade Name R17
Full-Time Equivalent 1.0
FLSA Status Exempt
FLSA Test Learned Professional
Workweek Full-time role with expectations for coverage during core business hours and flexibility required as necessary to accommodate business needs.
Job ID 283
Job Name Research Scientist
Position Category Research Services (RS)
Complexity – regularly applied judgment to accomplish tasks; develops policies and procedures
Impact – errors may cause moderate to serious damage; accuracy highly important
Autonomy – performs work independently with regular check-ins; supervision available as needed
Communication – occasionally resolves conflicts; adapts communication style to audiences
Responsibility – advises others
Confidentiality – regularly prepares and uses confidential information
Leadership – acts as a role model
Work requires occasionally lifting moderate weight materials, standing, or walking continuously.
Little or no exposure to hazards such as dust, fumes, or extreme temperatures, airborne or blood borne pathogens, extreme temperatures, or allergens.
Ability to detect and translate speech or other communication required. May occasionally require the ability to distinguish colors and perceive relative distances between objects.
Occasional exposure to dust, noise, temperature changes, or contact with water or other liquids. Work is performed in an environmentally controlled environment.
Exhibit confidentiality, honesty, and actions that build trust and strengthen relationships. Listen to others and effectively communicate in a clear and concise manner through written and verbal communication. Demonstrate respect and commitment to the values of diversity and equity; seek out and incorporate diverse perspectives into decision making.
Excellence and Creativity
Exhibit initiative and ingenuity by taking ownership of tasks to proactively improve services, avoid problems, or develop opportunities. Generate novel and valuable ideas to impact institutional missions.
Identify and implement new methods to increase efficiency and quality.
Education and Development
Displays an ongoing commitment to continuous learning and self-improvement in one's area of responsibility. Actively seek out mentorship and learning opportunities that can be applied to current and future work activities. Develop and maintain professional affiliations. Participate in design, development, and/or evaluation of instructional materials, methods, courses, or programs.
Agility and Judgment
Remain flexible and versatile in rapidly changing environment and adapt quickly to changing circumstances. Change behavioral style or method of approach when necessary to achieve a goal. Make timely and sound decisions based on analysis of information, experience, and logic. Show reliability and accountability in the successful completion of all work.
Stewardship and Institutional Citizenship
Support transformational change to achieve institutional vision and strategies. Be an active and thoughtful participant in institutional initiatives, meetings, and committee work. Conserve resources and use in an efficient and cost effective manner across all institutional missions. Look for ways to improve and promote quality within area of influence.
The Medical College of Wisconsin (MCW) is one of the largest healthcare employers in Wisconsin. We are a distinguished leader and innovator in the education and development of the next generation of physicians, scientists, pharmacists and health professionals; we discover and translate new knowledge in the biomedical and health sciences; we provide cutting-edge, collaborative patient care of the highest quality; and we improve the health of the communities we serve.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.