The Meyer lab in the Biochemistry Department at the Medical College of Wisconsin is seeking a postdoctoral scholar with experience or interest in mass spectrometry, proteomics, metabolomics, machine learning, bioinformatics, or related areas.
The long-term goal of the Meyer lab is to predict molecular and phenotypic behavior of biology using computational models trained with large-scale omics data. Ongoing projects relate to drug discovery, basic understanding of metabolism, and personalized patient diagnosis. New technology we develop is motivated by the need for cures and diagnostics for neurological diseases and cancer.
The successful candidate will likely have exclusive access to a mass spectrometer with ion mobility that we are in the process of purchasing.
Postdoctoral appointees pursue basic, clinical or translational projects so long as their primary effort is devoted toward their own scholarship. Postdocs are essential to the scholarly mission of the mentor and host institution, and thus are expected to have the freedom to publish the results of their scholarship.
Competitive candidates will have experience in at least one of the following areas:
- data analysis with python and/or R
- mammalian tissue culture
- bacterial/yeast culture
- sample preparation for mass spectrometry
- experience operating liquid chromatography mass spectrometry (LC-MS) instruments,
- machine learning with scikit-learn (sklearn), keras/tensorflow, pytorch, fastai
- website building and maintenance
Characteristics of a postdoctoral appointment:
It is expected that postdocs at MCW, with the assistance of their supervisor, will:
- Transition to career independence through the development of professional skills that enable the postdoc to actively pursue a career of his/her own choosing.
- Be supervised by at least one senior scholar who actively promotes the postdoc's professional development.
- Establish an individual development plan (IDP) that incorporates equally the postdoc's career and training goals and the mentor's research goals.
- Pursue basic, clinical, or translational projects so long as effort is focused primarily on research.
- Publish results of the postdoc's research and scholarship during their appointment.
- The postdoctoral appointment is temporary by nature, the aggregate amount of time spent as a postdoc is recommended to not exceed five years (not including family medical leave or maternity/paternity leave).
- As postdocs are important members of the host institution's community, appropriate levels of compensation, health care, and other benefits commensurate with their essential status should be afforded, independent of the postdoc's source of funding.
- Plan, design and execute complex research studies, procedures and protocols.
- Participate in discovery projects.
- Coordinate research study activities; lead and manage projects.
- Oversee organization, synthesis and analysis of data and findings.
- Prepare scientific reports, outcome findings and scientific manuscripts.
- Participate in meetings with principle investigator and research staff in which you will evaluate/interpret the validity of data, develop methodologies, and design and evaluate lab procedures.
- Maintain supplies, may require negotiation with vendors, and track purchase orders.
- May oversee the work of laboratory personnel including training and development as well as daily work direction, delegation and establishing priorities.
Knowledge – Skills – Abilities
Required knowledge: biology, chemistry, mathematics, statistics, documentation, records management, data utilization, complex problem solving, critical thinking, resource management, and writing skills.
Minimum Required Education: PhD, PharmD, or MD
Minimum Required Experience: None
Preferred Education: PhD, PharmD, or MD
Preferred Experience: 1-3 years postdoctoral experience
Field: Biochemistry/Biophysics, Cell Biology, Drug discovery, Machine Learning
The Medical College of Wisconsin (MCW) is one of the largest healthcare employers in Wisconsin. We are a distinguished leader and innovator in the education and development of the next generation of physicians, scientists, pharmacists and health professionals; we discover and translate new knowledge in the biomedical and health sciences; we provide cutting-edge, collaborative patient care of the highest quality; and we improve the health of the communities we serve.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.