Mathematica applies expertise at the intersection of data, methods, policy, and practice to improve well-being around the world. We collaborate closely with public- and private-sector partners to translate big questions into deep insights that improve programs, refine strategies, and enhance understanding using data science and analytics. Mathematica offers our employees competitive salaries, and a comprehensive benefits package, as well as the advantages of being 100 percent employee owned. As an employee stock owner, you will experience financial benefits of ESOP holdings that have increased in tandem with the company’s growth and financial strength. You will also be part of an independent, employee-owned firm that is able to define and further our mission, enhance our quality and accountability, and steadily grow our financial strength. Read more about our benefits here: https://www.mathematica.org/career-opportunities/benefits-at-a-glance.
We are currently seeking a Sr. Manager, Financial Analysis. Under limited supervision and reporting to the Senior Director FPA, the Sr. Manager will primarily support the management of the company’s Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP) and the capital investment budget (including potential acquisition activity). This role will be responsible for developing financial statements, financial models and organizational budgets.
- Support the management of the ESOP: enterprise valuation, industry business and risk assessment.
- Support the capital expenditure funding decisions and analyze new investment options.
- Help develop and maintain annual operating budget and forecasts, including development of the budget templates and budget presentation packages, and maintain ongoing rolling short-term forecast models.
- Under limited supervision, prepare and review monthly, quarterly, and annual financial statements, including cash flows. Improve the current financial reporting structure and help identify new leading indicators or benchmarks to assess the performance of the divisions.
- Perform financial analysis, including strategic analysis, to discern trends in burden overheads, general and administrative expenses, and profitability margins.
- Help develop financial operational policies and procedures.
- Develop presentations for executives and management discussions.
- Support the Accounting Department in monthly and annual financial close activities.
- Perform various ad-hoc financial analyses and industry-related research to inform senior management in strategic decision making.
- Actively support the advancement of organizational diversity, equity, and inclusion efforts, and apply diversity, equity, and inclusion lens across job responsibilities.
- Additional duties may be assigned as needed.
Functional Knowledge (Required):
- Knowledge of employee stock ownership plans.
- Extensive experience with investment evaluation methods (DCF, ROI, EVA,…)
- Experience with monthly close, quarterly and annual reporting, and accounting processes.
- Strong knowledge of accounting principles and government accounting standards.
- Ability to work independently, manage shifting priorities, demonstrate good personal judgment, and effectively handle tasks under pressure.
- Demonstrated accuracy, strong organizations skills, and attention to detail.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to deal tactfully and diplomatically with others.
- Flexibility to handle multiple priorities, sometimes simultaneously, under deadline pressure.
- Ability to work independently for long periods of time.
- Advanced proficiency in budgeting applications (Deltek, Microsoft, SAP, Planful and so on).
Functional Knowledge (Preferred):
- Knowledge of Deltek’s suite of products is a plus.
- Experience with government contracting (FAR)
- Experience with instituting change management implementation strategy and process improvements initiatives.
- Willingness to travel as necessary.
- BA/BS degree in Accounting or Finance.
- Master’s degree in Accounting, Finance, or Business Administration preferred.
Years of Relevant Experience:
- 10+ years of relevant experience in a senior financial management role.
- A combination of equivalent education and relevant work experience may be substituted for the above requirements.
- Experience in investment banking or Corporate Development a plus.
Various federal agencies with whom we contract require that staff successfully undergo a background investigation or security clearance as a condition of working on the project. If you are assigned to such a project, you will be required to obtain the requisite security clearance.
Available locations: Washington, DC; Princeton, NJ; Cambridge, MA; Woodlawn, MD; Chicago, IL; Ann Arbor, MI; Oakland, CA; Seattle, WA; Remote
In accordance with Executive Order 14042 and its implementing guidelines, all Mathematica employees must provide documentation that they have been fully vaccinated or obtain an accommodation through Human Resources by providing documentation from a licensed health care provider that they are unable to be vaccinated against COVID-19 because of a disability (which would include medical conditions) or provide an attestation that they are entitled to an accommodation because of a sincerely held religious belief, practice, or observance.
This position offers an anticipated annual base salary range of $95,000-$125,000. This position may be eligible for a discretionary bonus based on company and individual performance.