As a matter of corporate policy, all JSA employees are required to be vaccinated against COVID-19. All successful hires will be required to provide COVID-19 vaccination verification as a condition of employment, subject to limited legally recognized exemptions to the COVID-19 vaccination.
Position Re-Posted: February 25, 2022 Salary Range: $56,700 - $77,100 (TD II) Work Location Type: Dedicated On-site
As a member of the cryogenics team, you will fabricate, weld and install components at a journeyman level as requested by the cryogenic engineering and design group. You will generally partner with a more senior technician on various projects to be installed in the Jlab cryogenic system or an external interest.
Your Role Will:
- Fabricate and weld cryogenic piping systems and components, with little supervision, in accordance with engineering specifications and Lab pressure systems requirements.
- Perform 100% penetration, open butt, ASME radiograph quality welds on stainless steel and carbon steel piping with thicknesses varying from .028” thru .500” using both GTAW and SMAW welding processes. Must perform at journeyman level.
- Use power and hand tools including, but not limited to, grinders, saws, drills, and hand tools required for metal fabrication.
-Read and understand complex fabrication drawings and specifications.
-Ability to accurately use various measuring devices such as tape measures, rules and calipers.
-Prepare and clean piping and metal items for use in cryogenic systems using chemical cleaning solvents.
-Assist in the installation of cryogenic components into an operational cryogenic system with direction of more senior technicians.
. -Assist vacuum staff with mass-spec leak detection and pressure testing
-Move large items with forklifts, overhead crane, pallet jacks.
-Perform tasks requiring knowledge of proper cryogenic super-insulation installation procedures.
Education, Certifications and Experience:
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities: AS degree plus 3 years relevant experience or High School Graduate with 6 years relevant experience or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Requires knowledge of proper use of hand tools, hardware, and power tools. Must have knowledge of industrial pipe and fitting terminology and standards. Ability to use basic algebra, geometry, and trigonometry associated with calculating angles and component layout techniques. Must be able to read and interpret piping system and component fabrication drawings. Must be experienced in some discipline of pipe welding, metal fabrication and pipefitting. Some machining experience would be beneficial. Basic computer skills. Incumbent will be requested to complete required training to satisfy working in the Cryogenics Department, such as, but not limited to: forklift, crane and rigging, ODH, Radiation Worker I, and Lockout/Tag-out. Basic understanding of cryogenic, vacuum, and gas pressure systems and the importance of proper fabrication and cleaning techniques.
• Ability to comprehend and follow instructions
• Ability to understand, remember, and communicate highly technical information and make decisions • Ability to organize, prioritize and complete complex and varied tasks
• Ability to traverse across various locations on the laboratory site and access work areas
• Ability to stoop, kneel, bend over and climb ladders and work at heights • Ability to work in confined spaces • Ability to stand and work for extended periods • Ability to carry up to 40 lbs and lift 15 lbs above head frequently • Ability to perceive temperatures and work in both hot and cold conditions. • Ability to identify and distinguish colors • Manual capability to pick, pinch, or otherwise work with fingers; seize, grasp, hold, turn, use hand tools and other equipment • Visual capabilities sufficient to use computer workstations, read drawings and other documents and see safety alarms • Auditory capabilities to hear safety alarms
Jefferson Science Associates, LLC (JSA) manages and operates the Thomas Jefferson National Accelerator Facility (Jefferson Lab). JSA is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, color, religion, ethnicity, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, or veteran status or on any other basis prohibited by federal, state, or local law. As part of the JSA’s equal employment opportunity policy, we also take affirmative action as called for by applicable laws and Executive Orders to ensure that minority group individuals, females, disabled veterans, recently separated veterans, other protected veterans, Armed Forces, and qualified disabled persons are introduced into our workforce and considered for promotional opportunities.
JSA is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for persons with disabilities (unless doing so will result in an undue hardship). If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to email@example.com or call (757) 269-7598 to provide the nature of your request. Reasonable accommodations are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Employment with JSA is conditional upon DOE approval if at any time during your employment you are participating in a Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Program or Affiliated activity. Generally, such programs/activities include any foreign-state-sponsored attempt to acquire U.S.-funded scientific research through programs run or funded by the government that target scientists, engineers, students, academics, researchers, and entrepreneurs of all nationalities working or educated in the United States. This includes positions or appointments, both domestic and foreign, titled academic, professional, or institutional appointments whether or not remuneration is received and whether full-time, part-time or voluntary.