Sales associates provide fast, friendly service by actively seeking out customers to assess their needs and provide assistance. Sales associates have an emphasis on department and product knowledge, providing information on product features, and knowing related items to sell an entire project. Associates in this position know how to greet, qualify, recommend and close every customer in their department, and know how to handle basics in adjacent departments. Sales associates maintain the in-stock condition of assigned areas, and ensure that it is clean, shoppable, and safe. Each associate has the responsibility of providing a safe working and shopping environment by following all safety policies & standards, completing specified safety training, immediately correcting hazards & unsafe conditions or reporting conditions to the Manager On Duty, and working safely as not to endanger themselves, co-workers, vendors, or customers. These associates work in cooperation with their Department Supervisor, other associates in their department as well as other sales departments (e.g., IMAs, and the Front-end Associates to ensure customers' needs are met.
- Provides fast, friendly service
- Actively seek out customers on the racetrack and in the aisles
- Offer a friendly greeting, smile, and make eye contact with customers
- Ask open ended questions about customers' projects in order to
- determine their needs and level of expertise
- Show enthusiasm with the customer
- When necessary, handle several customers at once
- Thank customers for shopping at The Home Depot
- Follow up with customers via telephone when appropriate
- Is knowledgeable about products and services offered by The Home Depot
- Answer questions about merchandise for the customers' level of
- Escort customers to appropriate merchandise, no matter what
- Describe features and benefits of merchandise
- Explain the steps needed to complete projects and the products needed
- Assist customers with special orders and installed sales
- Acquire beginner product knowledge in adjacent departments
- Acquire knowledge about cutting keys, ropes, blinds, carpet, wood, and mixing paint
- Promote services offered at the Special Services Desk, Tool Rental, and Pro Desk
- Has knowledge of other HD companies and how to best recommend
Direct Manager/Direct Reports:
- Due to forklifts and other heavy equipment traveling through the store, temporary cracks may appear in the floor, causing an uneven walking surface
- The warehouse environment can be dusty and noisy
- Doors are frequently open, causing drafts and interior temperature changes
- Floors around work area may become slippery during wet weather conditions
- May have to handle merchandise and work with tools with sharp edges
- Passing forklifts emit gas fumes
- Tools, supplies and related merchandise may contain hazardous materials
- Typically requires overnight travel less than 10% of the time.
- Must continuously stand or walk or regularly requires lifting/handling/carrying material or equipment of moderate weight (8-20 pounds).
- Usually in a comfortable environment but with regular exposure to factors causing moderate physical discomfort from such things as dust, fumes or odors.
- Physical Job Requirements
- Bending, stooping, reaching, twisting, lifting, pushing, pulling and moving items
- Requires the ability to move around the store and maneuver merchandise when necessary
- Responding to public address system announcements
- Requires ability to respond to customer service calls, personal pages and general information announcements
- Moving and Standing
- Requires moving around the store to assist Customers
- Identifying and reading reports, tickets and UPC labels
- Requires recognizing, identifying and using merchandise and necessary reports
- Must be eighteen years of age or older.
- Must be legally permitted to work in the United States.
- 0 to 2 years Home Depot experience
- 2 to 4 years Retail or Trade experience
- The knowledge, skills and abilities typically acquired through the completion of a high school diploma and/or GED.
Minimum Years of Work Experience:
Preferred Years of Work Experience:
- No additional years of experience
Minimum Leadership Experience:
Preferred Leadership Experience:
- Quality Service - Makes customers the first priority, actively seeks out customers, greets all customers, offers assistance
- Product Knowledge - Demonstrates a high level of knowledge of products, services and procedures in assigned area and nearby departments, knows priority SKUs
- Solutions - Seeks to fully understand the customers' needs, provides customer with the best solution even if it involves a markdown, contacts other associates/leaders as needed; until customer's need is met
- Respect - Treats customers in a sincere, appreciative manner and thanks them for their business, minimizes their time in the checkout line, acknowledges waiting customers and thanks for shopping with The Home Depot
- Project Focus - Asks customers about their project and provides appropriate related items and services for total project, sells the whole project
- Selling Skills - Promotes products and services using Greet-Qualify-Recommend-Close, resolves customers' concerns; executes Good, Better, Best strategy
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.