At The Home Depot, we help doers get more done. In order to do this, we need the best leaders in retail. Our Enterprise Leadership Development team helps develop confident, competent, orange-blooded leaders who can effectively take care of their associates. We have a strong team of instructional designers who are focused on the goal of developing our leaders, and we’re looking to add to the team.
That’s where you come in! This Instructional Designer will help design, develop, and implement cutting-edge, experiential leadership development programs that build enterprise leadership capabilities throughout the leadership lifecycle. You will be part of a dynamic, collaborative team that creates learning to build knowledge and, more importantly, change the way our leaders think.
When you join The Home Depot, you join a team that takes care of our people. The Instructional Designer will take care of our leaders and ensure they are equipped with the mindsets and behaviors needed to effectively lead their teams and achieve business results.
Interested? Here’s what we’re looking for:
- You have strong communication skills and you’re comfortable communicating through technology (Adobe Connect, Microsoft Teams, Webex, etc.).
- You are passionate about leadership development and have a strong background in instructional design, leadership, talent development, or psychology.
- You have a track record of using innovative approaches to develop people, particularly leaders.
- You have experience with vertical development, coaching, or leading a team.
- You are self-driven, resourceful, and excellent at project management.
- You are comfortable taking risks, communicating new ideas to a variety of audiences, being a trusted consultant and partner, and propelling current thinking about leader development to the next level.
- You are passionate about development and have a strong background with applying instructional design and adult learning principles to create instructional courses, assessments, job aids, and other learning deliverables.
- You have a track record of using innovative approaches to develop people.
- You have experience with creating deliverables for all phases of the course creation lifecycle, including analysis, design, and development.
- You have experience with Agile Learning Development or the Successive Approximation Model (SAM).
- You are self-driven, collaborative, resourceful, and excellent at project management.
- You are comfortable taking risks, communicating new ideas to a variety of audiences, being a trusted consultant and partner, and propelling current thinking about development to the next level.
- You have strong communication skills and you’re comfortable communicating through technology (WebEx, Microsoft Teams, etc.).
Is this you? If so, we want to talk to you!Major Tasks, Responsibilities & Key Accountabilities:
Nature and Scope:
- 60% - Create learning objectives, design documents, storyboards, and other learning design deliverables. Develop learning solutions using project-based templates. Test and debug deliverables for quality assurance. Ensure learning solutions align with desired outcomes.
- 10% - Partner with Learning Strategy Senior Managers on confirming needs analysis and instructional strategy
- 10% - Know standard eLearning development tools and software (Articulate Storyline and Presenter, Adobe Captivate).
- 10% - Proactively communicate task and project status to client group and management
- 10% - Assist in the interviewing, selection, and onboarding of contractors and associates
Environmental Job Requirements:
- This position reports to Manager of Learning.
- This position has 0 direct reports.
1. Located in a comfortable indoor area. Any unpleasant conditions would be infrequent and not objectionable.
Typically requires overnight travel less than 10% of the time.
Standard Minimum Qualifications:
- Must be eighteen years of age or older.
- Must be legally permitted to work in the United States.
The knowledge, skills and abilities typically acquired through the completion of a high school diploma and/or GED.
Years of Relevant Work Experience:
Most of the time is spent sitting in a comfortable position and there is frequent opportunity to move about. On rare occasions there may be a need to move or lift light articles.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Competencies:
Master’s degree in Instructional Design, Instructional Technology, Human Resource Development, Organizational Behavior and Development, Industrial and Organizational Psychology, or related field
4+ years in the Learning field
Experience creating training deliverables for leaders
Experience conducting learning needs analysis
Experience with project management
Experience with agile methodology
Experience developing content for leaders at multiple levels
- Experience working closely with leaders director-level and above
- Advanced knowledge of instructional design and adult learning theories
- Experience applying or researching psychological methods to shape thinking and behavior
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office PowerPoint, Excel, Word, and Outlook
- Advanced knowledge of eLearning development tools and software (i.e., Articulate Storyline and Presenter, Adobe Captivate)
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Strong ability to communicate and present information to various groups within THD
- Ability to work independently (e.g., project revisions, solving issues as they arise)
- Proficient knowledge of instructional design and adult learning theories
- Proficiency with software including Microsoft Office and standard eLearning development tools
- Basic knowledge of project management principles and MS Project
- Excellent written communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.