This position will provide legal support, including regulatory and compliance counseling, to the Company’s sustainability function, including environmental, climate-related, responsible sourcing and similar matters. This role will also support the Company’s ESG efforts with respect to environmental and sustainability matters, supporting data governance and reporting efforts as well as related communications with internal and external stakeholders.
MAJOR TASKS, RESPONSIBILITIES AND KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES
- Provide advice and counsel regarding, and assist with compliance with, regulatory requirements and/or best practices with respect to sustainability matters, including environmental, climate-related, responsible sourcing and similar matters.
- Provide advice and counsel regarding, and assist with defense of, any environmental lawsuits or investigations and any related regulatory compliance.
- Conduct trend and risk analysis and competitive benchmarking to understand key stakeholder expectations of the sustainability landscape and ensure awareness of critical developments related to standard setters like GRI, SASB, TCFD, and other broadly recognized reporting standards/frameworks.
- Provide advice and guidance on participation in sustainability-related initiatives globally, including assisting with responses to sustainability related questionnaires and surveys from external stakeholders.
- Support communications related to these matters with the board of directors, senior leadership team, investor relations, and external stakeholders such as investors, policy makers and/or regulators.
- Collaborate effectively with other internal partners supporting the Company’s ESG efforts help drive implementation of the Company’s ESG goals and develop strong partnerships and feedback loops.
- Assist with the identification and development of appropriate platforms and systems to strengthen the collection of and data governance around information included in the Company’s sustainability disclosures.
NATURE AND SCOPE
- Typically reports to an Associate General Counsel.
- Preferred areas of specialization include environmental, regulatory, and enforcement experience.
ENVIRONMENTAL JOB REQUIREMENTS
- Located in a comfortable indoor area. Any unpleasant conditions would be infrequent and not objectionable.
- Typically requires overnight travel less than 10% of the time.
- Most of the time is spent sitting in a comfortable position and there is frequent opportunity to move about. On rare occasions there may be a need to move or lift light articles.
- Must be eighteen years of age or older.
- Must be legally permitted to work in the United States.
- The completion of a Juris Doctor or equivalent and required certifications for practicing law.
Years of Relevant Work Experience: 15+ years
- Prior experience in a regulatory role related to environmental or sustainability issues, including Department of Justice, EPA, enforcement or other similar roles.
- Prior experience in sustainability, business strategy, business and human rights, or other relevant work at the intersection of business and ESG.
- Prior experience in consulting or with investor stewardship functions balanced with understanding of corporate perspective.
- Prior experience as in-house counsel.
- 15+ years of practice experience.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Competencies:
- Strong leadership skills, including the ability to work collaboratively with and influence business and legal colleagues across multiple disciplines.
- Comfortable challenging the status-quo while abiding by our values-based culture.
- Project management and strong client service and interpersonal skills, including the ability to work as a team member to foster strong relationships with business clients and team members and to maintain project timelines.
- The ability to confront conflict and difficult issues in a professional, assertive, and proactive manner.
- Ability to articulate business needs clearly and accurately and present clear and concise solutions allowing business clients to make strategic decisions.
- High degree of oral and written communication and analytical skills, with a high attention to detail.
- Proactive personality, eager to learn new areas.
- The ability to work independently on numerous activities and prioritize them properly while meeting deadlines.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.