The DC Area Supervisor leads an hourly team and influences the entire distribution team to do the fast-paced work required to run the distribution center as efficiently, safely and productively as possible. This role will handle management responsibilities for the team members under his/her supervision. This role is responsible for ensuring prompt, efficient and accurate handling of merchandise as well as developing and implementing team goals. This role is responsible for hiring, evaluation, development, discipline, and termination of hourly associates. This role has management responsibilities for 20 to 30 hourly associates.
Major Tasks, Responsibilities & Key Accountabilities:
- 45% Managing Process: Ensures all operations procedures are followed effectively, and identifies and recommends needed changes to Operations Manager and/or Assistant General Manager on the standardized processes for the functional area. Evaluates and analyzes current work methods and recommends ways to eliminate inefficiences.
- 25% Coaching and Developing Associates: Guides associates in daily operations, and monitors to ensure a high degree of productivity, safety, service and quality. Responsible for the training, coaching and feedback of hourly associates, and performs regular evaluations of associates through factual data and subjective observations. Uses discretion to provide coaching and counseling to associates regarding job performance, methods of performing job tasks. Resolves associate relations issues that arise in assigned functional area. Responsible for hiring, compensation, discipline and terminations of hourly associates in assigned department. Investigates operational errors to determine the cause and recommends corrective action where needed.
- 15% Drives Results: Maintains inventory accuracy and control; reviews reports identifies area of improvement for key metrics inclouding productivity, accuracy, quality and expenses.
- 15% Business Planning: Coordinats and monitors operations with the functional area to ensure performance production rates are consistent with business plan and pattern, reducing irregularities and damages. Reviews reports and business metrics to analyze and plan staffing needs for optimimum department operations.
Additional Responsibilities: Other duties as assisgned by Operations Manager, Assistant General Manager or General Manager.
Nature and Scope:
This position typically reports to the Operations Manager.
This position is accountable for the direct supervision of the work activities of others. Planning, monitoring and reviewing work of subordinates is required. This may include direct supervision of a shift or the coordination of multiple work groups. Makes recommendations concerning selection, termination, performance appraisal and professional development.
1. Located in a comfortable indoor area. Any unpleasant conditions would be infrequent and not objectionable.
Typically requires overnight travel less than 10% of the time.
Standard Minimum Qualifications:
Must be eighteen years of age or older.
Must be legally permitted to work in the United States.
Additional Minimum Qualifications:
Flexibility to work various shifts
Ability to relocate
The knowledge, skills and abilities typically acquired through the completion of a high school diploma and/or GED.
Years of Relevant Work Experience:
Most of the time is spent sitting in a comfortable position and there is frequent opportunity to move about. On rare occasions there may be a need to move or lift light articles.
Computer skills in software including Microsoft Office;
Experience with Warehouse Management Systems;
3+ years supervisory experience in a related field;
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Competencies:
People Management: Assesses skills and manages the work and productivity of others while coaching and developing talent.
Financial Acumen: Utilizes fundamental concepts of finance to assist with managing budgets, forecast labor, and provides information to account for the financial impact of decision making.
Creative Thinking: Demonstrates originality and imagination in thinking while developing a solution to a problem.
Business Communication: Writes, speaks, and presents clearly and succintly across a variety of communication settings and adjusts communication style to the audience.
Conflict Management: Views conflict as an opportunity to find common ground and gain cooperation from all parties. Reads situations quickly, actively listens, and settles disagreements and disputes equitably.
Operations Systems: Understands and uses systems and tools used for day to day operation of a facility. Navigates the various DC operations systems in order to retrieve data accurately and effectively.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.