The Manager of Customer Strategy is the voice of the customer within Home Depot, identifying, analyzing and delivering compelling customer insights that drive clear business actions and outcomes. Acts as internal consultant to the company, evaluating customer needs and market trends and making recommendations for action in alignment with the Company's overall strategy. Acts as thought partner with all areas of the Company, including executive leadership, operations, merchandising, marketing and e-commerce. Builds advocacy for sustained organizational investment in customer understanding. Challenges the organization to be relentlessly focused on the needs of the customer and shopper.
Major Tasks, Responsibilities & Key Accountabilities:
40% Customer opportunity identification
- Helps recommends which customer needs should be pursued for future development, and works with director and business partners to develop solutions to address those needs.
- Helps support structured insight driven innovation sessions to stimulate internal idea generation.
- Helps assess customer receptivity to ideas.
- Uses customer and marketplace understanding to strengthen ideas.
- Supports the business' process for gauging in-market potential for new products and initiatives based on customer reactions.
- Helps translate customer needs and wishes into business opportunities.
25% Special strategic projects
- Special strategic projects will be driven by the annual strategic planning process and ELT request
25% Market and trend analysis
- Helps implements insight plan for the monitoring of customer and marketplace trends and competitive dynamics; transforms data into actionable customer insight, influencing decisions and behaviors of cross functional leadership.
- Helps build and contribute to foundational understanding of customer and marketplace dynamics.
- Synthesizes disparate data, both internal and external, into insights that drive successful market actions.
10% Maintain a strategic fact base (customers, customer experience innovation, retail trends, etc.) to help shape executive decision-making
- Become a subject matter expert to become the "go to" for specific areas of the business (ie, knows the most about the pro customer).
Nature and Scope:
Position reports to Sr Mgr CI
No direct reports
Environmental Job Requirements:
1. Located in a comfortable indoor area. Any unpleasant conditions would be infrequent and not objectionable.
Typically requires overnight travel less than 10% of the time.
Additional Environmental Job Requirements:
Standard Minimum Qualifications:
Must be eighteen years of age or older.
Must be legally permitted to work in the United States.
Additional Minimum Qualifications:
The knowledge, skills and abilities typically acquired through the completion of a bachelor's degree program or equivalent degree in a field of study related to the job.
Years of Relevant Work Experience:
Certifications & Licenses:
Most of the time is spent sitting in a comfortable position and there is frequent opportunity to move about. On rare occasions there may be a need to move or lift light articles.
- Advanced degree highly desirable; MBA preferred
- Previous experience with a top-tier consulting firm
- Experience in the application of research findings and customer analytics to the retail environment
- Direct experience in the efficient analysis of extremely large datasets desired
- Extensive knowledge of statistical methods and modeling
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Competencies:
- Ability to assimilate extensive amounts of detailed data to see the big picture , analyze, and summarize vast amounts of information as well as understand all of the detail supporting the analysis.
- Intellectually curious, conceptual thinker, able to set ideas into broad social science context.
- Project management, leadership, and solid ability to problem-solve creatively.
- Solid organizational skills, analytical ability to work with processes, numbers, and statistics.
- Must be an excellent communicator, with strong presentation skills, with strong ability to develop and state business recommendations or "so whats."
- Experience discovering and activating customer insights that lead to sales growth in the form of new product or service launches, existing product improvements and improved marketing efficiency
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.