The Director, Data Science is responsible for collaborating across the enterprise to plan for and achieve goals associated to data science for their specific support business area. This role guides others in execution and development while supporting enterprise goals, ensuring partner satisfaction, and driving significant business results. As a Director of Data Science, you will work closely with functional and technical leaders to leverage the methodologies and techniques of data science as a competitive advantage. This senior leadership role is expected to collaborate with other leaders across the organization to develop strategies and effectively manage talent. As a Director of Data Science, you will be responsible for advancing data analytics, strategy and planning while growing and developing a talented and skilled data science team. In addition, the Director of Data Science will ensure that a standard operating and costing model is used to determine return on investment and appropriate funding.
MAJOR TASKS, RESPONSIBILITIES AND KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES:
- 35% People Management & Team Leadership - Provide leadership, mentorship and coaching to direct reports and evaluate performance, execution, and contribution. Establish a clear vision for the team and influence reach with business partners. Attract, retain and develop top talent to build an effective and high performing teams. Support team in development of business knowledge and technical skills with clear plans and regular assessment of progress. Develop onboarding and training plan for both technical and soft skills that will ensure high level of capabilities within the team. Foster collaboration and alignment between different data science roles to develop a supportive and engaged team. Ensure best practices and world-class techniques are leveraged in the solutioning for business problems and future team reach. Drive team's results and celebrates accomplishments.
- 30% Data Science Advocacy - Collaborate with business leaders to align on objectives and expectations. Serve as escalation point for any issues or difficulties with specific projects or initiatives. Champion data science capabilities and new skills to continually identify ways to impact the business. Define effective metrics to understand the high level performance against business goals.
- 35% Strategy & Business Development - Leverage extensive business knowledge and relationships to seek out new business opportunities to leverage data science and advocate for team's skills. Ensure a successful operating model and cost structure for Data Science is developed and leveraged across the enterprise to standardize ROI calculations and project/team funding. Effectively develop trust and collaboration with internal customers and cross-functional teams. Support data science research and innovation efforts that can serve as competitive advantage for the enterprise. Develop an integrated data science vision and end-to-end strategy. Drive adoption of leading-edge data science techniques and methods, both predictive and prescriptive.
NATURE AND SCOPE:
This position typically reports to Senior Director or above
This position has Direct Reports and manages programs
ENVIRONMENTAL JOB REQUIREMENTS:
Environment: Located in a comfortable indoor area. Any unpleasant conditions would be infrequent and not objectionable.
Travel: Typically requires overnight travel less than 10% of the time.
Must be eighteen years of age or older.
Must be legally permitted to work in the United States.
Education Required: The knowledge, skills and abilities typically acquired through the completion of a bachelor's degree program or equivalent degree in a field of study related to the job.
Years of Relevant Work Experience: 10 years
Physical Requirements: Most of the time is spent sitting in a comfortable position and there is frequent opportunity to move about. On rare occasions there may be a need to move or lift light articles.
- Proficient in communicating, building influence, and developing relationships with functional and technical leaders, with high-level vendor partners, and across all levels in the organization
- Proficient in selecting and leading strategic relationships or acting as the primary point of contact for strategic partnerships
- Proficient in managing and developing direct reports with their own span of control
- Masters in a quantitative field (Computer Science, Math, Statistics, etc.) or equivalent work experience
- 4+ years of experience in business intelligence and analytics
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Excel and Power Point
- Experience in a modern scripting language (preferably Python)
- Proficient running queries against data (preferably with Google BigQuery or SQL)
- Proficient with data visualization software (preferably Tableau)
- Proficient utilizing statistical techniques to identify key insights that help solve business problems
- Knowledgeable in Prescriptive Modeling like optimization, computer vision, recommendation, search or NLP
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Competencies:
- Attracts Top Talent: Attracting and selecting the best talent to meet current and future business needs
- Builds Effective Teams: Building strong-identity teams that apply their diverse skills and perspectives to achieve common goals
- Builds Networks: Effectively building formal and informal relationship networks inside and outside the organization
- Business Insight: Applying knowledge of the business and the marketplace to advance the organization's goals
- Communicates Effectively: Developing and delivering multi-mode communications that convey a clear understanding of the unique needs of different audiences
- Develops Talent: Developing people to meet both their career goals and the organization's goals
- Directs Work: Provides direction, delegating and removing obstacles to get work done
- Drives Engagement: Creating an environment where people are motivated to do their best to help the organization achieve its objectives
- Drives Vision and Purpose: Painting a compelling picture of the vision and strategy that motivates others to action
- Instills Trust: Gaining the confidence and trust of others through honesty, integrity, and authenticity
- Interpersonal Savvy: Relating openly and comfortably with diverse groups of people
- Organizational Savvy: Maneuvering comfortably through complex policy, process, and people-related organizational dynamics
- Persuades: Using compelling arguments to gain the support and commitment of others
- Strategic Mindset: Seeing ahead to future possibilities and translating them into breakthrough strategies
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.