The Sr. Design Engineer is a business partner to the merchandising teams and is responsible for program managing new product development (NPD) initiatives across a diverse range of product categories.
The engineer will collaborate with internal teams, vendors, design agencies, and other third party resources to develop innovative product concepts. Knowledge in proof-of-concept prototyping and design for manufacture and assembly is essential for success in this role as well as having good business acumen and financial knowledge of key terms, which will aid the engineer in relating the information to the Merchant community in a constructive and collaborative manner. The engineer works in a team environment as an individual contributor.
MAJOR TASKS, RESPONSIBILITES AND KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES
50% - Directly responsible for program managing NPD efforts, timelines, and deliverables while tracking expense and return on investment including;
- Opportunity sizing and merchandising alignment
- In-store date backout schedule creation and maintenance
- Conducting milestone review meetings with appropriate stakeholders
- Early supplier engagement and selection inclusive of development contract negotiations
- Facilitating project transitions to core engineering teams for onboarding
25% - Performing feasibility studies on NPD projects, including proof-of-concept prototyping, researching product categories and industries to uncover NPD opportunities
25% - Working cross functionally with merchandising, brand, trend and design, IP council, and other technical teams to ensure their feedback is incorporated into the process
NATURE AND SCOPE
Reports to Senion Manager of Engineering
ENVIRONMENTAL JOB REQUIREMENTS
Located in a comfortable indoor area. Any unpleasant conditions would be infrequent and not objectionable.
Typically requires overnight travel less than 10% of the time.
Must be eighteen years of age or older.
Must be legally permitted to work in the United States.
The knowledge, skills and abilities typically acquired through the completion of a bachelor's degree program or equivalent degree in a field of study related to the job.
Years of Relevant Work Experience: 5 years
Most all of the time is spent sitting in the same position or standing/walking or there is some requirement to lift or handle material or equipment of moderate weight (8-20 pounds).
- Mechanical Engineering, Industrial Design, or equivalent degree in a field of study related to the job
- Experience working in a product development and/or manufacturing environment
- Experience working with OEM suppliers through the product development cycle
- Knowledge of the patenting process, interpreting patent claims and designing around
- Component design experience in a diverse range of disciplines: molding, stamping, extrusion, etc.
- 3D design software experience in either Solidworks and/or PTC Creo
- Product costing experience
- Knowledge of Merchandising Financial terms
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Competencies:
- Program management of cross functional teams including design, marketing, legal, suppliers, and merchandising
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to use standard hand tools and lab equipment such as technical measuring equipment, power tools and pneumatic tools.
- Experience with 3D printing, model making, and general fabrication for POC prototyping
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.