The DC Operations Manager is responsible for the success of assigned functions within a complex distribution center environment to ensure that it is an outstanding place to work. The DC Operations Manager may be responsible for the supervision of one or more of the following: Inbound Operations (Unloading and Receiving), Warehouse Operations (Pick-Pack, Break-Pack), Outbound Operations (Loading), Transportation Operations (Yard, Carrier Relations) and/or Office Operations (e.g., Transportation Coordinators, Customer Service Associates, General Office Associates). The DC Operations Manager works with the General Manager or DC Assistant General Manager to develop strategies and objectives to maximizing productivity and leverage expenses for the Home Depot distribution center. DC Operations Managers must analyze trends, solve problems and motivate and develop themselves and associates in order to maximize contribution to the DC success - typically manages through several Supervisors to achieve results from a large number of hourly associates.
MAJOR TASKS, RESPONSIBILITIES AND KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES
NATURE AND SCOPE
- 20% Managing to ensure operational excellence in all warehouse areas, efficient operations of warehouse management system(s) and related equipment, inventory is received appropriately and efficiently and safely processed in the warehouse, proper layout of warehouse and product placement, and proper maintenance and organization of all warehouse areas so that it's appearance is conducive to creating a perfect load for our Stores and Customers
- 20% Assists GM or AGM with the evaluation of the effectiveness of and recommends alternatives for work methods, procedures, controls and staffing to achieve accurate and timely movement and processing of product; manage to ensure warehouse layout is optimally aligned for maximum efficiency as seasonality and inventory needs require.
- 15% Assists GM and/or AGM with the DC's financial, operational, people and process and service related objectives to drive continuous improvement and efficiency gains to reduce overall cost-to-serve; leads associates, and peers to anticipate and solve problems and plan for upcoming events, seasonal changes, etc. Depending on DC, may assist in management of 3PL provider to ensure optimal performance and metrics are achieved.
- 15% Coaches, trains, and develops Associates informally and through formal training programs, providing both informal (e.g. on-floor coaching) and formal (e.g. written evaluation) job performance based feedback. Maintains a union free work environment by creating an employee-centered work place that demonstrates care and concern for all Associates.
- 15% Ensures a culture of safety throughout the organization by following Home Depot safety policies and procedures - monitor DC safety, physical security and operational metrics on a daily, weekly and monthly basis
- 15% Depending on need, may work with the GM to manage relationship with #3PL onsite delivery or transportation agent for all outbound loads, review transportation carrier performance with transportation Associates
ENVIRONMENTAL JOB REQUIREMENTS
- Reports to DC General Manager I/II or Assistant General Manager
- Accountable for direct supervision of the work activities of others. In addition to personnel issues -- including selection, termination, performance appraisal and professional development of subordinates.
- Typically in a comfortable environment but with regular exposure to factors such as temperature extremes, moving machinery, loud noise, and fumes which cause noticeable discomfort or a moderate risk of accident or illness.
- Typically requires overnight travel less than 10% of the time.
- Must be eighteen years of age or older.
- Must be legally permitted to work in the United States.
Years of Relevant Work Experience: 2 years
- The knowledge, skills and abilities typically acquired through the completion of a high school diploma and/or GED
- Requires intermittent periods during which continuous physical exertion is required, such as walking, standing, stooping, climbing, lifting material or equipment, some of which may be heavy or awkward.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule. Ability to be on-call at various times.. Must be able to work weekends and holidays.
- Must be open to relocation. Because of the nature of Retail Distribution, your flexibility to relocate will translate into increased opportunities for advancement.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Competencies:
- Bachelors Degree concentrating in Operations Management, Business or Supply Chain
- Proficiency in Microsoft Outlook, Word and Excel software applications
- Previous change management experience (driving, influencing and inspiring change through communication at all impacted levels).
- Acts with Integrity: Demonstrates responsible, ethical and honest behavior in all Home Depot roles, tasks and responsibilities; models The Home Depot values.
- Problem Solving: Reacts quickly and appropriately to problems in the DC; follows-up in a timely manner to issues not immediately resolvable; ties all loose ends.
- Customer Driven: Creates a customer-focused environment in which excellent service is provided to all Customers; sees business through the eyes of the Customer.
- Gets Things Done: Motivates self and others to accomplish important objectives despite a complex environment and multiple demands; creates a sense of urgency; delegates appropriately.
- Communicates Effectively: Communicates clearly and concisely with all audiences; keeps others informed and listens carefully to input and feedback; adapts messages to fit audience.
- Plans Strategically: Demonstrates the ability to determine goals, direction and action steps necessary to maximize short-term and long-term.
- Ground-Engaged: Demonstrates a comprehensive understanding of The Home Depot business and how his/her actions affect the business; uses this knowledge to make effective business decisions; knows the competition and the industry; foresees future challenges and takes action to address them.
- Building Relationships: Establishes trust and credibility with people over time; establishes rapport with people; has smooth working relationships with people inside and outside of the organization.
- Champions Development: Seeks knowledge about the strengths and weaknesses of his/her self and Associates; takes steps to maximize development of both self and Associates.
- Stress Tolerance: Maintains a positive attitude; maintains a high volume, high quality workload under demanding conditions (e.g., short time frame).
- Safety Orientation: Enforces safety policies and procedures; is a safety role model; holds Associates to a high safety standard.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.