At The Home Depot, our award-winning e-Commerce team is blazing the trail of retail shopping innovation by leveraging cutting-edge technology with our 2,200+ store locations and a relentless focus on customer service. We are on a mission to provide the best interconnected shopping experience and need more dreamers, innovators and big thinkers who are passionate about re-imagining the future of retail. MAJOR TASKS, RESPONSIBILITIES AND KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES
The Sr UX Designer is a UX/Product Design professional who is driven to dive in deep to understand complex business, technical and customer problems and translating them into simple and elegant digital solutions – blending quant and qual research and insights, data and solid intuition. Can clearly communicate vision and know how to balance customer needs and business goals. Success is building strong cross-functional partnerships with Product, Engineering and PMO team members and understanding that your seat at the table is to represent the customer’s point of view.
An ideal candidate is a student of human-centered design, has a passion for making positive change happen and inspiring innovative thinking amongst teammates and stakeholders alike. From a skills perspective, has a mastery of the tools of UX methodology from research, ideation and prototyping, interaction design, visual design and usability testing. Your portfolio reflects this approach to the work and represents your breadth of experience at different phases of feature and product development.
NATURE AND SCOPE
70% Action Oriented/Execution - Provides UX design artifacts and tests usability of product for assigned squads; Leads research data collection and synthesis; Advocate for design centered thinking inside your product
5% Drives Engagement - Coaching resource for junior designers; Mentors apprentices in product or workstream; Frequent contributor to the broader team activities and learning engagements
25% Drives Results - Partners with Product, Engineering, PMO, UX Leadership and additional stakeholders; Displays situational adaptability, is able to step in and drive change in products to better align with user needs or organizational goals. Has courage and organizational savvy to drive this change; Leads stakeholder meetings to drive product alignment; Leads conversations on Design System maturity
ENVIRONMENTAL JOB REQUIREMENTS
- Position reports to Manager, User Experience
- This position has 0 direct reports
- Located in a comfortable indoor area. Any unpleasant conditions would be infrequent and not objectionable.
Additional Minimum Qualifications:
- Must be eighteen years of age or older.
- Must be legally permitted to work in the United States.
- 5-7 years of relevant work experience, designing sophisticated yet friendly digital experiences, preferably with some e-commerce background
- Bachelor’s degree in Design, Human Computer Interaction or related field
- An online portfolio that showcases real-world responsive web solutions and the role you played in bringing them to life.
Years of Relevant Work Experience: 5 years
- The knowledge, skills and abilities typically acquired through the completion of a bachelor's degree program or equivalent degree in a field of study related to the job.
- Most of the time is spent sitting in a comfortable position and there is frequent opportunity to move about. On rare occasions there may be a need to move or lift light articles.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Competencies:
- Expertise in current design tools including Sketch, Invision, Adobe CC
- Knowledge and awareness of up-and-coming design tools like Figma, Abstract (and more)
- Skilled at some more advanced prototyping with tools such as Axure, Principle or Framer
- Experience with usertesting.com (or similar platform)
- Experience with Miro and remote collaboration tools and techniques
- Understanding of browser display/platform differences and how to design for responsive web frameworks
- Understanding of taxonomy and the principles of information architecture
- Experience working within an established and evolving design system and a deep understanding of UI patterns and component behavior
- Experience designing for a modular, componentized front-end framework a plus
- Ability to draw custom icons and spot illustrations a plus
- Basic animation skills a plus
- Responsive, proactive team player who is comfortable leading conversations and speaking up
- Experienced in creating presentations and stepping your audience logically through your work
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite
- Working knowledge of presentation software (e.g., Microsoft PowerPoint)
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate and work effectively with cross-functional teams
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Action Oriented
- Communicates Effectively
- Customer Focus
- Drives Results
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.