At HomeDepot.com, our award-winning e-Commerce team is blazing a trail of retail shopping innovation by leveraging cutting-edge technology with our 2,200+ store locations and a relentless focus on customer service. We have been named one of the world's most innovative companies and we are on a mission to provide the world’s best interconnected shopping experience. To do so, we need more dreamers, innovators and big thinkers passionate about re-imagining the future of retail. Interested in making history with us? If so, apply today to experience what it’s like to be a part of our HomeDepot.com team. Who knows? Your next big idea may just change the future of retail!
The Sr. Manager, Online Data Science will lead a team of data scientists creating machine learning and data mining solutions to improve digital experience for our customers; operate as a thought leader and visionary, with the ability to guide data science modeling and influence across analytical functions. By collaborating with business leaders and leveraging terabytes of numeric or text data, this position will develop algorithms and models to improve recommendation, personalization, and search ranking that affects billions of visitors’ digital experience.
The Sr. Manager, Online Data Science will be expected to engage with our business partners to identify data-driven opportunities and map business problems to data science solutions; develop a data science strategy that spans and informs all areas of the business from product innovation to customer success; and guide and inspire the teams in data science best practices, and evangelize strategic use of data throughout the business.
Major Tasks, Responsibilities and Key Accountabilities:
- 40% -Design and develop algorithms and models to improve recommendation, personalization, and search ranking; Establish scalable, efficient processes for large scale data analysis, model development and model implementation. Ensure successful delivery of the projects.
- 20% - Develop the data roadmap using the most appropriate technologies, manage, and expand data teams to support growth.
- 20% -Communicate with product management and other business teams on problem definition and present findings in easily understood ways. Coordinate with IT team and write requirement documents for efficient model building and deployment.
- 10% -Mentor and develop the technical and business skills of Data Scientists.
- 10% -Define best practices and articulate a clear vision for how data analyses and model productionalization should be done.
Nature and Scope
- This position reports to Director of Data Science.
- This position has direct reports.
- Located in a comfortable indoor area. Any unpleasant conditions would be infrequent and not objectionable.
- Typically requires overnight travel less than 10% of the time.
- Must be eighteen years of age or older.
- Must be legally permitted to work in the United States.
- The knowledge, skills and abilities typically acquired through the completion of a master's degree program or equivalent degree in a field of study related to the job.
Years of Relevant Work Experience: 8 years
- Most of the time is spent sitting in a comfortable position and there is frequent opportunity to move about. On rare occasions there may be a need to move or lift light articles.
- Strong data mining and machine learning background
- Experience with big data environment
- PhD in Computer Science, Math or related quantitative field
- Experience with recommender systems, information retrieval, graph analysis, statistical modeling, neural network, and natural language processing
- Experience with large-scale data analysis and building high-performance computational software
- Experience with e-Commerce and analyzing clickstream data
- Experience with big data environment including Spark, Hadoop, Hive, etc.
- Proficiency in at least one statistics/data analysis package, such as Spark, Python or R
- Proficiency in at least one programming language, such as Java or Python, etc.
- Solid coding practices including good design documentation, unit testing, and integration testing
- Experience working with real-world noisy data
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Competencies:
- Strong communication and data presentation skills; ability to communicate with data-driven stories
- Ability to quickly adapt to new technologies, tools and techniques
- Flexible and responsive; able to perform in a fast paced, dynamic work environment and meet aggressive deadlines
- Ability to work with technical and non-technical team members
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.