The Senior Systems Engineer develops, maintains, and supports The Home Depot's technical infrastructure that includes network, hardware, database, and system software components. The Sr. Systems Engineer is responsible for collaborating with and enabling product teams with infrastructure. Sr. Systems Engineers are expected to leverage tooling and custom applications to monitor and optimize performance. In addition, Sr. Systems Engineers may be involved in routine upgrades and application support as well as root cause and post-mortem analyses around security incidents and service interruptions. As a Sr. Systems Engineer, you will be able to operate independently, though typically working as part of a team with varying skillsets.
MAJOR TASKS, RESPONSIBILITIES AND KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES
10% - Planning & Analysis:
30% - Delivery & Execution:
- Researches and analyzes business trends and behavioral data to identify opportunities for improvements and new initiatives
- Drives the evaluation, development, and recommendation of specific technology products and platforms to provide cost-effective solutions that meet business and technology requirements
- Researches and designs best fit infrastructure, network, database, and security architectures for products
- Proactively creates and maintains tools for monitoring and support
- Participates in project planning and reporting across multiple efforts
50% - Support & Enablement:
- Drives configuration, debugging, and support for infrastructure
- Drives field and corporate roll-outs of technology
- Drives the stand up of necessary system software, hardware, and equipment (physical or virtual) to meet changing infrastructure needs
10% - Learning:
- Collaborates with product and project teams to understand needs and enable them with infrastructure
- Supports technology architecture design review efforts for project and product teams
- Leverages tooling and custom applications to monitor the operational status of applications, infrastructure, networks, databases, and security; optimizes and tunes performance as appropriate
- Drives root cause analysis, debugging, support, and post-mortem analysis for security incidents and service interruptions
- Maintains, upgrades, and supports existing systems and infrastructure to ensure operational stability
- Opens and manages vendor problem tickets to resolution
- Drives the production of in-house documentation around solutions
- Monitors tools and proactively helps teams struggling with systems issues
- Provides application support for software running in production
- Creates scripts and tools that drive automation and enable product teams and end users to move towards self service
NATURE AND SCOPE
- Keeps abreast of innovations and industry trends as well as changes to internal systems and determines how they impacts tools, training, and support necessary to keep systems up, running, and secure
- Participates in and contributes to learning activities around modern systems engineering core practices (communities of practice)
- Proactively views articles, tutorials, and videos to learn about new technologies and best practices being used within other technology organizations
Typically reports to the Systems Engineer Manager or Sr. Manager.
ENVIRONMENTAL JOB REQUIREMENTS
Located in a comfortable indoor area. Any unpleasant condition
Typically requires overnight travel less than 10% of the time.
Must be eighteen years of age or older.
Must be legally permitted to work in the United States.
Additional Minimum Qualifications:
Must be legally permitted to work in the United States
High School Diploma / GED
Years of Relevant Work Experience: 3 years
Most of the time is spent sitting in a comfortable position and there is frequent opportunity to move about. On rare occasions there may be a need to move or lift light articles. Located in a comfortable indoor area. Any unpleasant conditions would be infrequent and not objectionable.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Competencies:
- 4+ years of progressive experience with Google (Connectivity focus)
- 3+ years of public cloud automation (Google experience a plus)
- 5+ years of Network Design in Cisco or Juniper
- 5+ years of Network Implementation in Cisco or Juniper
- Strong Documentation skills
- Action Oriented: Taking on new opportunities and tough challenges with a sense of urgency, high energy, and enthusiasm
- Collaborates: Building partnerships and working collaboratively with others to meet shared objectives
- Communicates Effectively: Developing and delivering multi-mode communications that convey a clear understanding of the unique needs of different audiences
- Cultivates Innovation: Creating new and better ways for the organization to be successful
- Drives Results: Consistently achieving results, even under tough circumstances
- Global Perspective: Taking a broad view when approaching issues; using a global lens
- Interpersonal Savvy: Relating openly and comfortably with diverse groups of people
- Manages Ambiguity: Operating effectively, even when things are not certain or the way forward is not clear
- Nimble Learning: Actively learning through experimentation when tackling new problems, using both successes and failures as learning fodder
- Self-Development: Actively seeing new ways to grow and be challenged using both formal and informal development channels
- Situational Adaptability: Adapting approach and demeanor in real time
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.