This position provides primary transactional support to the Company’s Merchandising and Marketing teams, and supports regulatory issues related to the products the Company sells through its various channels of distribution. The successful candidate must have the ability to identify and analyze complex legal issues, draft and negotiate a variety of agreements (supplier buying, strategic partnership, exclusivity, license, sponsorship, services and software-as-service (SaaS)), and present appropriate recommendations to minimize the legal exposure of the Company in vendor contracts.MAJOR TASKS, RESPONSIBILITIES AND KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES
- Manages the legal affairs of the Company's Merchandising and Marketing teams.
- Handles general corporate transactions and product regulatory issues.
- Accurately identifies and assesses risks and determines and effectuates appropriate course for specific business areas and others with department-wide consequences. Identifies, assesses, approves, and recommends changes to business partners
- Handles complex legal matters within area of responsibility. Retains, monitors, and evaluates the performance of Outside Counsel relationships and budgeting within area.
- Independently conducts and directs complex negotiations for a broad spectrum of matters for specific business areas with general supervisory review. Supervises and conducts appropriate legal research for all pending legal work.
- Compiles, prepares, and presents budget recommendations for area of responsibility and manages budget for same.
NATURE AND SCOPE
Typically reports to an Assistant or Associate General Counsel. Direct reports may include one or more Legal Specialists.
ENVIRONMENTAL JOB REQUIREMENTS
Located in a comfortable indoor area. Under constant pressure to continuously meet tight deadlines, demanding quotas and/or must regularly deal with difficult situations.
Typically requires overnight travel less than 10% of the time.
Additional Environmental Job Requirements:
Located in a comfortable indoor area. Any unpleasant conditions would be infrequent and not objectionable.
Must be eighteen years of age or older.
Must be legally permitted to work in the United States.
Additional Minimum Qualifications:
The completion of a Jurist Doctorate or equivalent and required certifications for practicing law.
The completion of a Juris Doctor or equivalent and required certifications for practicing law.
Years of Relevant Work Experience: 8 years
Most of the time is spent sitting in a comfortable position and there is frequent opportunity to move about. On rare occasions there may be a need to move or lift light articles.
- Experience in general corporate law, commercial transactions, marketing and handling of product regulatory issues.
- Eight years of experience as an attorney.
- Prior experience as in-house counsel.
- Eight (8) years of practice experience.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Competencies:
- People management/supervisory experience. High degree of oral and written communications skills. Negotiation skills. Analytical skills.
- Proven drafting and negotiation skills. Ability to make significant contributions to communication for complex matters at a department level. Ability to prepare and assist in the preparation of reports and presentations to officers and executives as appropriate.
- The ability to work independently on numerous activities and prioritize them properly while meeting deadlines.
- The ability to confront conflict and difficult issues in a professional, assertive and proactive manner. The ability to effectively manage the performance and careers of direct reports.
- The self-starting ability to aggressively tackle new responsibilities and initiative without receiving sufficient training or completely clear direction.
- The ability to develop, organize, implement and manage standard procedures on a department-wide level and train outside counsel and paralegal in the procedures.
- High degree of oral and written communication and analytical skills.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.