Come join a wonderful group of people who happen to be strong software engineers, analysts, and data scientists. We have big DevOps dreams and a lot to do!
ABOUT BLACKLOCUSMAJOR TASKS, RESPONSIBILITES AND KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES
Imagine joining a close-knit team in downtown Austin having a substantial impact on one of the world's top-ten retailers. BlackLocus is all about using smart engineering and to increase the competitive advantage of a massive retail business.
We started as a venture-funded startup, founded by Carnegie Mellon alumni and entrepreneurs with a passion for creative deployment of new technology. Acquired by The Home Depot in December of 2012, we operate with autonomy as a product lab in the historic Scarbrough building in downtown Austin, TX. To learn more, visit us at BlackLocus.com!
70% - Delivery & Execution:
● Collaborates and pairs with other product team members (UX, engineering, and product management) to create secure, reliable, scalable software solutions
● Documents, reviews, and ensures that all quality and change control standards are met
● Writes custom code or scripts to automate infrastructure, monitoring services, and test cases
● Writes custom code or scripts to do "destructive testing" to ensure adequate resiliency in production
● Creates meaningful dashboards, logging, alerting, and responses to ensure that issues are captured and addressed proactively
● Drives destructive testing, automation, or engineering empowerment
● Identifies unsecured code areas and implements fixes as they are discovered with or without tooling
● Contributes to foundational code elements that can be reused many times by a product
● Contributes to meaningful architecture diagrams and other documentation needed for security reviews or other interested parties
● Defines Service Level Objectives for products to constantly measure their reliability in production and help prioritize backlog work
20% - Support & Enablement:
● Fields questions from other product teams or support teams
● Monitors tools and participates in conversations to encourage collaboration across product teams
● Provides application support for software running in production
● Proactively monitors production Service Level Objectives for products
● Proactively reviews the performance and capacity of all aspects of production: code, infrastructure, data, and message processing
● Triages high priority issues and outages as they arise
10% - Learning:
● Participates in and leads learning activities around modern software design and development core practices (communities of practice)NATURE AND SCOPE
● Proactively views articles, tutorials, and videos to learn about new technologies and best practices being used within other technology organizations
● Attends conferences and learns how to apply new technologies where appropriate
This position reports to the Technology Leader.
This position has 0 direct reports.
ENVIRONMENTAL JOB REQUIREMENTS
Located in a comfortable indoor area. Any unpleasant conditions would be infrequent and not objectionable.
Typically requires overnight travel less than 10% of the time.
Additional Environmental Job Requirements:
● Partners with software engineers and data scientists to build secure, usable, efficient tools to enable their workMINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
● Measures our development and operational effectiveness
● Defines problems and solutions facing our development efforts
● Helps drive our integration and deployment maturity
● Improves monitoring and alerting
● Leads and guides the team in identifying and implementing new technologies which will advance our security awareness
● Drives adherence with compliance controls
● Provides tools employing strong application and data security practices
● Manages key and password rotation
● Supports secure, cost-effective use of cloud compute cycles for our support and data science teams
● Helps control overall cloud costs
Must be eighteen years of age or older.
Must be legally permitted to work in the United States.
Additional Minimum Qualifications:
● 5 years experience as a Devops EngineerEducation Required:
● Ability and enthusiasm to collaborate with a diverse range of people and perspectives
● Strong Linux system administration background
● Good verbal and written communication skills
● Strong knowledge of AWS and/or GCP
● Knowledge of current and emerging deployment and integration technologies and paradigms
● Strong knowledge of application and web security best practices
● Experience with GitHub, Jenkins, and multiple test automation tools
● Experience with one or more of the following: Java, Go, or Python configuration
● Experience implementing vulnerability scanning such as AWS Inspector or Qualys in cloud deployments
● Experience automating patch management for base virtual machine and container images
● Experience with configuration Management tools such as Ansible, Chef, Puppet, or similar
● Experience managing production infrastructure with Terraform, CloudFormation, or similar
● Experience enabling automated test environments
● Experience with container management (Docker, Kubernetes, etc.)
The knowledge, skills and abilities typically acquired through the completion of a bachelor's degree program or equivalent degree in a field of study related to the job.
Years of Relevant Work Experience:
Most of the time is spent sitting in a comfortable position and there is frequent opportunity to move about. On rare occasions there may be a need to move or lift light articles.
8+ years of previous related work experience
Ability to convey complex or technical ideas and processes in easy-to-understand terms to diverse audiences
Ability to negotiate, handle complaints, settle disputes, and resolve grievances with both internal and external customers
Excellent written and verbal communication skills
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Competencies:
Collaborates - Building partnerships and working collaboratively with others to meet shared objectives
Communicates Effectively - Developing and delivering multi-mode communications that convey a clear understanding of the unique needs of different audiences
Cultivates Innovation - Creating new and better ways for the organization to be successful
Drives Engagement - Creating a climate where people are motivated to do their best to help the organization achieve its objectives
Instills Trust - Gaining the confidence and trust of others through honesty, integrity, and authenticity
Nimble Learning - Actively learning through experimentation when tackling new problems, using both successes and failures as learning fodder
Optimizes Work Processes - Knowing the most effective and efficient processes to get things done with a focus on continuous improvement
Plans and Aligns - Planning and prioritizing work to meet commitments aligned with organizational goals
Tech Savvy - Anticipating and adopting innovations in business-building digital and technology applications.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Competencies:
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.