At The Home Depot Quote Center, we get UX; it’s baked into our DNA. We’re excited to expand the team as we drive new initiatives. As a member on the UX team, you will work with other strategists, designers and researchers to help craft end-to-end user experiences across HDQC’s external products and internal services. You can defend your design recommendations because they are based on fundamental research: behavioral, contextual and/or other means of capturing information from your users. You have the spark of out-of-box thinking, abductive reasoning and the joy of “playing pretend.” You are serious about UX and your work and the value they bring.
You can help diverse teams align and work through complex business, experience, and implementation challenges across the project lifecycle with your teaming, problem solving, and design skills.
Your flair for expression is tempered by the needs of your users. You diagram, model, and prototype—almost any media will do, as long as it facilitates solicitation of feedback and testing of your ideas with your audience. Your passion for creating a holistic vision is grounded in the understanding of technical constraints. You can formalize your thinking into use cases, flow charts, information architecture diagrams, personas, user stories, wire frames and specifications. You have a desire to see your ideas and designs made manifest in code and released into “the wild” so you can iterate, optimize, and improve them based on user feedback.
You seek help from all sources: designers, engineers, analysts, and project managers. Even as you believe design and architecture is best crafted from a single vision, you enjoy the collaborative effort, taking feedback & criticism as a means of improving the end results.
MAJOR TASKS, RESPONSIBILITES AND KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES
10%- Discovery - Identify the problems, users, systems and the business drivers
10%- Definition - Turn raw data into insights. Analyze and frame the data into actionable recommendations.
65%- Design - Synthesize insights into concepts and metaphors. Inspire the organization through well-executed visioning.
15%- Delivery - Craft deliverables such as wireframes, prototypes, sketches as appropriate to effectively communicate your designs with stakeholders from engineering to business leadership.
NATURE AND SCOPE
This position reports to a UX Manager.
This position has no direct reports.
ENVIRONMENTAL JOB REQUIREMENTS
Located in a comfortable indoor area. Any unpleasant conditions would be infrequent and not objectionable.
Typically requires overnight travel less than 10% of the time.
Must be eighteen years of age or older.
Must be legally permitted to work in the United States.
Additional Minimum Qualifications:
- Master's degree in Human Computer Interaction or Applied Psychology, MFA in Design or Interactive Design (IxD)
- OR related course of study with 8+ years experience in experience design (Web, Enterprise, Application UI, Mobile, Games, Information Visualization)
- Familiarity with multiple research methods, both evaluative and generative
- Knowledge and design experience with UCD, Goal Directed Design or other experience design methods
- Portfolio demonstrating a range of design styles, diversity of projects, and a clear personal aesthetic
- Ability to work on multiple projects and prioritize tasks for each
- Ability to communicate (verbally and graphically), ideas, decisions and reasoning with clarity, confidence and passion
- Solid business acumen
Minimal or no educational requirement for this job.
Years of Relevant Work Experience: 2 years
Most of the time is spent sitting in a comfortable position and there is frequent opportunity to move about. On rare occasions there may be a need to move or lift light articles.
- Designing in an Enterprise Application environment
- Understanding trends in SaaS in an enterprise environment
- Experience with integrating enterprise platform/cloud solutions
- Comfortable & knowledgeable with Agile development process
- Demonstrated experience with Adobe products
- 2+ years in Enterprise UX with demonstratable experience envisioning, designing, and unifying data-intensive, workflow-oriented applications and application suites for “newbie” and “expert” users alike.
- 2+ years of experience in complex multi-discipline team environment.
- Front end coding in HTML, CSS, JS or any object-oriented language.
- Demonstrated ability to initiate and self-manage complex projects.
- Desire to thrive in a fast-moving environment, with a need to out-pace external market competition.
- Recognized thought-leader in the UX field through publications, talks and engage
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Competencies:
Our associates have the challenge (and fun) of taking on a wide variety of problems and directly affecting users and the business. The following is a list of attributes found in successful QuoteCenter UX practitioners.
- PROBLEM SOLVING - Work collaboratively with business stakeholders, developers, and your fellow user experience designers to create a solution. Build domain knowledge and understand the user & business problems you're solving.
- QUALITY DELIVERABLES - You are responsible for designing experiences that are appropriately maintainable, scalable, and extensible.
- TAKING OWNERSHIP - When a problem comes to your attention, take care of it. If you're too busy with something more important either assign it to someone else or set a reminder to come back to it later.
- ALWAYS LEARNING - Be willing to learn whatever tools, approaches, or patterns necessary to solve a problem. Don't avoid a problem because "someone else 'owns' domain" - learn the tools, learn the domain, solve the problem.
- ALWAYS A MENTOR ? Continually look for the chance to share your knowledge and skills with others. Regardless of your level of experience, there is always something you know that someone else doesn t (and vice versa), so share!
- EFFECTIVE COMMUNICATION ? Write, draw, and speak clearly and concisely. Be prepared to explain your work, decisions, and ideas to your colleagues. Graciously challenge ideas that don't seem right, no matter where they originate.&n
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.