Working at the world's largest home improvement retailer is a career-defining experience. New associates decide to join us because: they love our people and culture, they get to work with cutting-edge technologies, and they spend every day solving large-scale problems that matter. As a Home Depot QuoteCenter associate, you will impact the daily lives and decisions of our customers who spend billions of dollars at our stores in North America.
At The Home Depot QuoteCenter our mission is to “enable a frictionless customer experience to sell Pros the complete job for the planned purchase.” Behind everything our users see and experience within The Home Depot QuoteCenter application eco-system is the Build, Integrate and Connect operating model built and managed by a diverse team of Merchants, Product Managers, Engineers, Marketeers, Operations, and Support professionals that enable Doers to Get More Done.
We’re committed to maintaining a fun, engaging and inclusive environment, ensuring the agility of a close-knit team and driving results that enable Home Depot to continue to be a leader in our industry. At The Home Depot QuoteCenter, we value diversity in all of its forms, and we work hard to support growing associate skills in a fast-paced collaborative environment.
The Home Depot QuoteCenter technology team is focused on radically reimagining the shopping experience at Home Depot utilizing the latest web technologies and data tools.
A Senior Software Engineer is a seasoned software engineer. Activities include designing, developing, installing, and maintaining software solutions. Lead software engineers will be expected to mentor less-experienced members of their team, prepare to become a manager or architect if the opportunity presents itself, and be self-directed and able to lead a small project team. In addition, lead software engineers should maintain technical depth (being very skilled in certain parts of the technology stack) and breadth (not isolated to a single segment of the technology stack).
MAJOR TASKS, RESPONSIBILITIES AND KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES
25%- Helping with solution design and architecture 35%- Writing new code and test cases
10%- Learning new skills
5%- Debugging existing code
NATURE AND SCOPE
This position reports to the Manager, Information Systems.
This position has no direct reports.
ENVIRONMENTAL JOB REQUIREMENTS
Located in a comfortable indoor area. Any unpleasant conditions would be infrequent and not objectionable
Typically requires overnight travel less than 10% of the time.
Additional Environmental Job Requirements:
Must be eighteen years of age or older.
Must be legally permitted to work in the United States.
Additional Minimum Qualifications:
The knowledge, skills and abilities typically acquired through the completion of a high school diploma and/or GED.
Years of Relevant Work Experience: 4 years
Most of the time is spent sitting in a comfortable position and there is frequent opportunity to move about. On rare occasions there may be a need to move or lift light articles.
Strong system design skills
- Expertise with patterns related to system resilience, performance, scalability, and
- Competence with both RDBMS and NoSQL data technologies, such as SQL Server and
- Experience building containerized components with Docker and Kubernetes
- Experience with microservice and distributed architectures in a cloud native environment
- Ability to work collaboratively with engineering, produce, and other business partners
- Experience mentoring more junior engineers in order to improve individual and team
- Experience implementing quality solutions that will raise the standards of our existing
- solutions while not diminishing the flexibility of a dynamic work environment.
- A positive can-do attitude
- Analytical thinking
- Critical thinking
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Attention to detail
- Strong oral and written communication
- Thorough understanding of data structures and algorithms
- Knowledge of software design patterns
- Interest in learning about the latest in data processing technologies, including Akka.
- Experience with Windows Server, Ubuntu (or other) Linux.
- Experience with relational databases, primarily SQL Server.
- Bachelor’s degree in a technology or engineering science degree at an accredited institution; graduate level education highly desired.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.