Working at the world's fourth largest retailer mixes the best of many worlds: cutting-edge
technologies meet real business needs meets real customers who spend billions of dollars at our
stores in North America.
What is it like to work at The Home Depot QuoteCenter?
At QC we strive to maintain the agility of a small operation, and the impact that comes with being a
leader in our industry. The mission of the QuoteCenter product team is to radically reimagine the
shopping experience at Home Depot utilizing the latest web technologies and data tools. At
QuoteCenter, we value diversity in all of its forms, and we work hard to support growing associate
skills in a fast-paced collaborative environment.
What problems will you be solving in this role?
Our Core Services team is responsible for supporting our Pro customers by providing scalable new
capabilities and integrating with enterprise systems to enable new value at enterprise scale. To do
so, you’ll be building reliable, scalable microservices and other components in a cloud-native
environment with tools such as C#, .Net Core, Node.js, SQL Server, Elasticsearch, Cassandra,
Redis, and Google Cloud Platform.
An HDQC Lead Software Engineer is a seasoned software engineer. Activities include designing,
developing, installing, and maintaining software solutions. Lead software engineers will be expected
to mentor less-experienced members of their team, prepare to become a manager or architect if the
opportunity presents itself, and be self-directed and able to lead a small project team. In addition,
lead software engineers should maintain technical depth (being very skilled in certain parts of the
technology stack) and breadth (not isolated to a single segment of the technology stack).
MAJOR TASKS, RESPONSIBILITIES AND KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES
25%- Helping with solution design and architecture 35%- Writing new code and test cases
10%- Learning new skills
5%- Debugging existing code
NATURE AND SCOPE
This position reports to the Manager, Software Engineering. This position has no direct reports.
ENVIRONMENTAL JOB REQUIREMENTS
1. Located in a comfortable indoor area. Any unpleasant conditions would be infrequent and not objectionable.
Additional Environmental Job Requirements:
Must be eighteen years of age or older.
Must be legally permitted to work in the United States.
Additional Minimum Qualifications:
The knowledge, skills and abilities typically acquired through the completion of a high school diplomas and/or GED.
Years of Relevant Work Experience: 8 years
Strong system design skills
- Expertise with patterns related to system resilience, performance, scalability, and
- Competence with both RDBMS and NoSQL data technologies, such as SQL Server and
- Experience building containerized components with Docker and Kubernetes
- Experience with microservice and distributed architectures in a cloud native environment
- Ability to work collaboratively with engineering, produce, and other business partners
- Experience mentoring more junior engineers in order to improve individual and team
- Experience implementing quality solutions that will raise the standards of our existing
- solutions while not diminishing the flexibility of a dynamic work environment.
- A positive can-do attitude
- Analytical thinking
- Critical thinking
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Attention to detail
- Strong oral and written communication
- Thorough understanding of data structures and algorithms
- Knowledge of software design patterns
- Interest in learning about the latest in data processing technologies, including Akka.
- Experience with Windows Server, Ubuntu (or other) Linux.
- Experience with relational databases, primarily SQL Server.
- Bachelor’s degree in a technology or engineering science degree at an accredited institution; graduate level education highly desired.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Competencies:
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.