Working at the world's fourth largest retailer mixes the best of many worlds: cutting edge technologies meet real business needs meets real customers who spend billions of dollars at our stores in North America.
What is it like to work at The Home Depot QuoteCenter?
We were a startup once upon a time and much of our startup culture still exists: the agility of a small operation, the impact that comes with being a leader in our industry. Our engineers use the latest open source technologies to build new products that facilitate 10-figure project sales at The Home Depot. We invest proactively in our people. We sponsor developer events and our engineers headline workshops to teach Portland-area web engineers how we use cutting-edge technology to solve real world problems. The mission of the QuoteCenter product team is to radically reimagine the shopping experience at Home Depot utilizing the latest web technologies and data tools.
What problems will you be solving in this role?
There are multiple problems to help solve, including e-commerce, building a marketplace and catalog search.
What tools do we use?
ReactJS, Redux, C#, Akka.NET, ElasticSearch, Kafka, SQL Server, Microservices (to name only a few))
An HDQC Lead Software Engineer is a seasoned software engineer. Activities include: designing, developing, installing, and maintaining software solutions. Lead software engineers will be expected to mentor less-experienced members of their team, prepare to become a manager or architect if the opportunity presents itself, and be self-directed and able to lead a small project team. In addition, lead software engineers should maintain technical depth (being very skilled in certain parts of the technology stack) and breadth (not isolated to a single segment of the technology stack).
MAJOR TASKS, RESPONSIBILITIES AND KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES
25%- Helping with solution design and architecture 35%- Writing new code and test cases
10%- Learning new skills
5%- Debugging existing code
NATURE AND SCOPE
This position reports to the Manager, Software Engineering. This position has no direct reports.
ENVIRONMENTAL JOB REQUIREMENTS
1. Located in a comfortable indoor area. Any unpleasant conditions would be infrequent and not objectionable.
Additional Environmental Job Requirements:
Must be eighteen years of age or older.
Must be legally permitted to work in the United States.
Additional Minimum Qualifications:
The knowledge, skills and abilities typically acquired through the completion of a high school diplomas and/or GED.
Years of Relevant Work Experience: 8 years
- Aptitude: we believe the best engineers have great aptitude, even if they don’t have a lot of experience.
- 5+ years of experience participating in the design and implementation of large-scale web applications.
- Experience with Microsoft .Net technologies.
- Experience creating implementation plans, mentoring teams of developers and conducting peer reviews to insure that important deadlines are met.
- Experience implementing quality solutions that will raise the standards of our existing solutions while not diminishing the flexibility of a dynamic work environment.
- Ability to work closely with designers to develop frontend components.
- A demonstrated track record building applications tailored to specific and complex business problems.
- A positive, team-oriented attitude… someone who is willing to work in a fast-paced environment that is always in the process of change.
- An insatiable thirst for learning technologies and improving yourself and our organization.
- Interest in learning about the latest in data processing technologies, including Akka.
- Experience with Windows Server, Ubuntu (or other) Linux.
- Experience with relational databases, primarily SQL Server.
- Bachelor’s degree in a technology or engineering science degree at an accredited institution; graduate level education highly desired.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Competencies:
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.