Working at the world's fourth largest retailer mixes the best of many worlds: cutting-edge technologies applied to business problems, solving real needs for customers who spend billions of dollars across our stores in North America. QuoteCenter is an application Home Depot store associates use to build large product owners for our Pro customers.
We’re looking for an Engineering Manager to lead Agile software teams in building industry-leading applications for pro customers. The right person will be passionate about motivating and leading engineers and teams, fostering needed process/structure, and developing a high performance culture of dedicated software professionals.
What is it like to work at The Home Depot QuoteCenter?
We invest proactively in our people. We sponsor developer events, including Write/Speak/Code, JSConf and PADNUG, and our developers headline workshops to teach Portland-area web developers how we use cutting-edge technology to solve real world problems at the world’s third-largest retailer. The mission of the QuoteCenter product team is to radically reimagine the shopping experience at Home Depot utilizing the latest web technologies and data tools.
We are searching a Manager of Engineering who has strong technical acumen, is passionate about open source technologies and knows how to lead engineers and leverage them in a data-rich environment (thousands of users, millions of customers, billions in sales). The goal of your efforts is to create and maintain balance between productivity and engineering happiness.
What problem will you be solving in this role?
You will build a strong engineering culture of engineers that create innovative products.
MAJOR TASKS, RESPONSIBILITES AND KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES
30%- Delivery & Execution: Collaborates and pairs with team members (UX, engineering, product management, etc) to create secure, reliable, scalable software solutions
10%- Support & Enablement: Fields questions from engineers, product teams, or support teams
50%- People: Provides leadership, mentoring, and coaching to Software Engineers. Attracts, retains, and develops top talent to build a world class Software Engineering Team.
10%- Learning: Learns, through reading, tutorials, and videos, new technologies and best practices being used within other technology organizations
NATURE AND SCOPE
This position reports to the HDQC Director of Technology.
This position has 5-10 direct reports.
ENVIRONMENTAL JOB REQUIREMENTS
Located in a comfortable indoor area. Any unpleasant conditions would be infrequent and not objectionable.
Typically requires overnight travel less than 10% of the time.
Must be eighteen years of age or older.
Must be legally permitted to work in the United States.
The knowledge, skills and abilities typically acquired through the completion of a high school diplomas and/or GED.
Years of Relevant Work Experience: 7 years
Most of the time is spent sitting in a comfortable position and there is frequent opportunity to move about. On rare occasions there may be a need to move or lift light articles.
- Work with other managers and engineers to build software applications in an Agile software development environment
- Provide thought leadership and establish a technical strategy and roadmap for the team and its products
- Mentor and manage Engineers to provide career direction and inspiration
- Partner with Product Management, Architecture and User Experience to prepare for upcoming work assignments
- Foster a culture of continuous engineering improvement through mentoring, feedback, and metrics
- Own the technical design, development and operational effectiveness of innovative applications that meet current and future business needs in an efficient, sustainable, agile, and adaptable manner
- Collaborate with other managers and cross-functional teams to define strategies, scope of products and services throughout the product lifecycle
- Contribute to a culture of modern software development methodologies and architectural excellence
- Passionate about motivating great teams that are effective in creating great software that folks use and love
- Proven experience implementing engineering best practices based on Agile principles
- 3+ years of experience managing, building and leading large scale Agile product development teams
- 7+ years of experience participating in the design and implementation of large-scale web applications
- The ability to articulate and reinforce a vision for engineering processes and culture
- Experience pairing engineering resources with potential work to ensure fast delivery and high throughput on the highest value opportunities, while also providing an environment that provides engineers with challenges and growth opportunities
- Experience implementing quality solutions that will raise the standards of our existing solutions while not diminishing the flexibility of a dynamic work environment
- A positive, team-oriented attitude… someone who is willing to work in a fast-paced environment that is always in the process of change
- Bachelor’s degree in a technology or engineering science degree at an accredited institution; graduate level education highly desired
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Competencies:
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Typing skills
- Excellent written and verbal skills
- Strong organization skills with attention to details
- Must possess the ability to handle multiple task at once with minimal direction
- Training and procedural documentation skills
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.