A Principal Data Scientist Engineer leverages their technical abilities to synthesize complex analytical tasks into easily understood data-driven stories. Data Scientists are responsible for organizing, analyzing, and then sharing insights gleaned from data. Develops predictive systems and algorithms for identifying trends and driving business solutions. Utilizes industry-leading standards for working with very large datasets to extract meaningful business information using statistics, machine learning, and heuristics. Operates with minimal supervision and once given general assignments, prioritizes and executes tasks. Analyze inventory, transportation, DC, and store data to determine optimal settings for ordering, truckload rounding, and DC processes. Develop new analyses to improve Sync metrics around in stocks, turns, and trans cost. Deep dive issues with vendors and facilities to drive resolution through data
Major Tasks, Responsibilities & Key Accountabilities:
- 20%-Designs and develops algorithms and models that use large datasets to derive business insights.
- 20%-Establishes scalable, efficient processes for large scale data analyses, model development, and model implementation. 20%-Ensures the quality of work output by displaying a keen attention to detail.
- 20%-Designs and develops algorithms and models that use large datasets to derive business insights. 10%-Mentors and develops the technical skills of Analysts and Sr. Analysts.
- 10%-Seeks further knowledge on key developments within data science, technical skill sets, and additional data sources within Home Depot.
Nature and Scope: Position reports to Manager or Sr. Manager This position has no direct reports
Environmental Job Requirements:
- Located in a comfortable indoor area. Any unpleasant conditions would be infrequent and not objectionable.
- Typically requires overnight travel less than 10% of the time.
Standard Minimum Qualifications:
Education Required: The knowledge, skills and abilities typically acquired through the completion of a bachelor's degree program or equivalent degree in a field of study related to the job.
- Must be eighteen years of age or older.
- Must be legally permitted to work in the United States.
Work Experience Required: 3
- Most of the time is spent sitting in a comfortable position and there is frequent opportunity to move about. On rare occasions there may be a need to move or lift light articles.
- B.S. in Computer Science, Math, Engineering, or related quantitative field.
- Work experience with SQL Server, Teradata, Oracle, or comparable database systems.
- Expert knowledge in large scale information retrieval and statistical analysis.
- Work experience in data mining, statistical analysis, and/or forecasting.
- Advanced technical skills to retrieve, manipulate, analyze and interpret large amounts of data (>1 billion rows).
- A thorough understanding of SQL and intermediate knowledge of one other scripting/compiled/statistical programming language (VBA, Python, R, SAS, .NET, C++, Java).
- Prior direct experience in analyzing the relevant subject matter (Supply Chain, Merchandising, Operations).
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Competencies: Critical thinking skills to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions; ability to understand and foresee implications of new information for current and future problems solving. An unquenchable intellectual curiosity for getting at the underlying story being told within the data. Ability to build scalable systems and solutions that analyze huge data sets and make actionable recommendations. Strong written and verbal communications skills. Ability to persuade, inform, and influence others based on findings. A track record of taking complex results and communicating them in an easily understood way. Ability to quickly adapt to new technologies, tools, and techniques
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.