Set in the beautiful lake district, GSK Ulverston is a pharmaceutical API manufacturing site and is in need of a Process Safety Specialist providing management of process safety on site and supporting compliant manufacturing activities site-wide. This is available either as an internal secondment or as a fixed term contract for an external applicant, and both are encouraged to apply. As a process safety engineer you will be responsible for driving process safety projects, which support site strategy and production aims. These will be safe, compliant and robust and you will deliver these effectively by contributing process engineering expertise to the process. This will include process design and the generation of innovative solutions which drive continuous improvement and continuous safety optimisation. Ultimately, you will support compliant manufacture, day to day troubleshooting and will be a key safety support for any project work ongoing on site. This is an opportunity in which you will be involved in many varied engineering works, meaning there is exceptional chance to learn and contribute towards your own personal development.
Key Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Lead the implementation of the department’s Process Safety Plan whilst providing Process Safety advice, direction and support for any projects.
• Support the programme management and delivery of Process Hazard Reviews (PHR) and technical safety reviews on an API Pharmaceutical Process Plant and Utilities.
• Lead, coordinate and support Process Safety risk assessments such as HAZOP, HAZID and HAC.
• Provide process engineering support for Product Lifecycle Management, including input to Technical Risk Assessment (and escalation), development and use of Product Control Strategies for new and mature products, Product Performance Monitoring and assessment, and maintenance of knowledge management associated with dose/product
• Providing technical leadership in the application of process engineering best practice, principles and process safety on a variety of key projects across site, including global supply and process capability improvements to the supply chain.
• Providing process engineering support for Product Lifecycle Management, including input to Technical Risk Assessment (and escalation), development and use of Product Control Strategies, Product Performance Monitoring and assessment, and maintenance of knowledge management associated with dose/product form.
• Use of tools such as RCA to problem solve Technical issues
• Executing key technical activities including trials, improvement projects, RCAs, HAZOP studies, validation activities where appropriate
• Ensuring compliance with site standard operation procedures.
• Ensuring that GMP, Quality, Health and Safety processes are adhered to in all aspects of role. Must have a good working knowledge of Process Safety and associated systems.
To really excel you will need to combine technical process engineering knowledge with the relationship building skills and the personal strength of character to implement changes and to make a difference to well established systems and processes. You will be persistent and determined, and diplomatic enough to achieve success in all your projects and win the buy in of key Technical, Engineering and Production stakeholders. You will be a technical leader in process safety and will be passionate about continuous improvement both of production methods and levels, but also about the safety of operations in general.
CLOSING DATE for applications: Wednesday 3rd July (COB)
Please take a copy of the Job Description, as this will not be available post closure of the advert.
When applying for this role, please use the ‘cover letter’ of the online application or your CV to describe how you meet the competencies for this role, as outlined in the job requirements above. The information that you have provided in your cover letter and CV will be used to assess your application.
During the course of your application you will be requested to complete voluntary information which will be used in monitoring the effectiveness of our equality and diversity policies. Your information will be treated as confidential and will not be used in any part of the selection process. If you require a reasonable adjustment to the application / selection process to enable you to demonstrate your ability to perform the job requirements please contact 0808 234 4391. This will help us to understand any modifications we may need to make to support you throughout our selection process.
Why You?Basic qualifications:
• Degree level qualification in Chemical Engineering or related industry
• Practical experience of Process Safety as demonstrated by significant safety project experience
• Hands on experience of the pharmaceutical industry/GMP manufacturing
• Knowledge of Quality by Design and risk management
• Additional and higher-level qualifications are a benefit
• Practical experience of solvent recovery
• Experience in process modelling software, ideally Aspen Engineering Suite or PEL
• Experience in process measurement technology, automation/control systems
• Project management skills
• Knowledge of crystallization processes
GSK is a science-led, global healthcare company that produces innovative medicines, vaccines and consumer healthcare products.
We are committed to overcoming some of the biggest challenges in global health; delivering products of value in a responsible, sustainable way; and providing access to medicine for the world's poorest communities.
You may apply for this position online by selecting the Apply now button.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.