Team leader Antibody Discovery
Within the Biopharm Discovery Unit, the Antibody Selections group is looking for an experienced team Leader to lead a small team and use your experience to contribute to therapeutic antibody lead selection, optimization, and engineering. You will support our internal antibody drug discovery programs using cutting-edge in-vitro and in-vivo antibody discovery technologies.
Biopharm Discovery is a department dedicated to the discovery of novel and effective biopharmaceutical medicines. This department comprises several complementary functions focused on the progression of a portfolio of biopharmaceuticals from initial antibody discovery, expression and characterisation to molecular engineering and biological and physiochemical profiling.
Within the Biopharm Discovery Unit, the Antibody Selections group has responsibility for identifying and optimizing high quality hits and leads from in vitro library and in vivo technologies. The team uses the Adimab yeast platform along with in-vivo transgenic mice technologies to generate diverse panels of hits and leads which are expressed and triaged using a variety of characterisation assays.
The Antibody Selections group also works with external groups to deliver monoclonal antibody reagents for therapeutic and tool applications. In addition, the Antibody Selections group has accountability for developing or accessing new antibody discovery technologies to enable increasingly diverse hit panels and generation of candidates against challenging targets.
The Antibody Selections Team Leader will report to the Head of Antibody Selections. You will be expected to play a role in developing and executing the strategy of the group and translating this into key deliverables and capability development initiatives for the group. You will be required to lead a team of people that actively engages across the organization and has the necessary capabilities and capacity to deliver the pipeline. You will be accountable for delivering a diverse panel of high quality hits and leads to other groups in Biopharm.
• Lead and mentor a small team of scientists
• Scientific leadership and impact through a lab-based role
• Accountable for delivery of high quality hits and leads to program teams using our in vitro and in vivo Ab discovery platforms
• Contribute to and implement process improvements to the Antibody Discovery processes
• Working effectively within multidisciplinary teams
• Maintaining high quality and accurate records of the hit/lead panels in GSK databases and eLNB
• Clear and concise presentations of results to peers and program teams
• Develop capability & talent: inspire and motivate a team of scientists, support and identify development opportunities to allow individuals to realise their full potential
We can offer you a collaborative learning environment and the opportunity to develop your career and gain experience across drug discovery. If you share our priorities of innovation, performance and trust and are motivated to contribute towards bringing lifesaving drugs to patients, then we'd love to hear from you.
Please use your cover letter to highlight how you meet the competencies for the role, your cover letter along with your CV will be used to assess your application.
Please apply ASAP as applications will close once we have a suitable shortlist
During the course of your application you will be requested to complete voluntary information which will be used in monitoring the effectiveness of our equality and diversity policies. Your information will be treated as confidential and will not be used in any part of the selection process.
If you require a reasonable adjustment to the application / selection process to enable you to demonstrate your ability to perform the job requirements please contact 0808 234 4391. This will help us to understand any modifications we may need to make to support you throughout our selection process.
Why You?Basic qualifications:
• PhD in biological sciences or equivalent with extensive experience in antibody discovery.
• Demonstrated strong scientific leadership in in-vitro and in-vivo selections technologies, preferably yeast display
• Highly experienced scientist with demonstrated deep understanding of the antibody discovery processes
• Track record of critiquing scientific data with the ability to identify and resolve scientific questions
• Strong line and matrix leadership skills with experience of building and motivating teams
• Track record of building collaborations internally and externally
• Demonstrated ability to work effectively in multi-disciplinary teams and will display excellent interpersonal and communication skills
GSK is a world leading research-based pharmaceutical company that combines both individual talent and technical resources to create a platform for the delivery of strong growth in a rapidly changing healthcare market. Our mission is to improve the quality of human life by enabling people to do more, feel better and live longer.
You may apply for this position online by selecting the Apply now button.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.