GSK is a science-led global healthcare company dedicated to improving the quality of human life by enabling people to do more, feel better and live longer. To advance GSK’s discovery of new medicines, we seek smart, creative people who enjoy solving challenging problems and want to improve the lives of millions of people.
Our team (Research Statistics) collaborates with top laboratory and clinical scientists to advance exciting, innovative ideas in drug discovery. We design experiments, analyze data, and visualize results for projects that range from small studies with single endpoints to high-dimensional genomic data. We use traditional statistical methods and modern machine learning algorithms, design experiments to develop new technologies and analyze data to identify biomarkers for clinical trials. Our work is varied and challenging with the common goal to advance the science of human health.
To succeed, team members need good technical and communication skills, the desire to develop their statistical and scientific knowledge continually, and the ability to develop practical solutions and apply statistical techniques in creative ways. Successful candidates will be innovative, pragmatic, and flexible, thriving in a dynamic, collegial environment with frequent new challenges and excellent opportunities to develop and succeed.
CLOSING DATE for applications: Applications open until role is filled.
Please take a copy of the Job Description, as this will not be available post closure of the advert.
When applying for this role, please use the ‘cover letter’ of the online application or your CV to describe how you meet the competencies for this role, as outlined in the job requirements above. The information that you have provided in your cover letter and CV will be used to assess your application.
During the course of your application you will be requested to complete voluntary information which will be used in monitoring the effectiveness of our equality and diversity policies. Your information will be treated as confidential and will not be used in any part of the selection process. If you require a reasonable adjustment to the application / selection process to enable you to demonstrate your ability to perform the job requirements please contact 0808 234 4391. This will help us to understand any modifications we may need to make to support you throughout our selection process.
Why You?Basic qualifications:
• MSc or PhD in statistics, biostatistics, or a closely related field with formal statistical training
• Significant experience as a consulting statistician, collaborating with scientists from other disciplines
• Strong oral and written English communication skills
Demonstrated ability to
• Identify existing or develop new statistical methods to improve the design, analysis, and interpretation of scientific studies
• Evaluate, recommend, and implement statistical tools for addressing scientific problems
• Deliver statistical consulting (design, analysis, and interpretation of studies) to scientists in multiple disciplines
• Take a leadership role in multi-disciplinary teams
• Build and maintain relationships with customer groups
• Drive the adoption of statistical best practice within R&D
• Lead initiatives within a statistics team to develop internal capability
• Develop junior staff through mentoring or supervision
Interest in continually learning and applying new statistical skills
Knowledge of some of the following topics:
• Experimental design, mixed models, Bayesian methods, linear and nonlinear regression, repeated measures, analysis of high-dimensional data as found in genomics analyses
• Genomics, molecular biology, disease biology, cellular and animal models
GlaxoSmithKline is a science-led global healthcare company that researches and develops a broad range of innovative medicines and brands. We discover, make and market life-enhancing products that are used by millions of people around the world, helping them to do more, feel better and live longer. We have 3 primary areas of business in pharmaceuticals, vaccines and consumer healthcare. We have offices in more than 115 countries, major research centers in the UK, USA, Spain, Belgium and China and an extensive manufacturing network with 87 sites globally. Our three strategic priorities are to grow a diversified global business, deliver products of value, and to simplify our operating model.
You may apply for this position online by selecting the Apply now button.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.