GSK R&D is entering an exciting phase of culture change in how we approach decision-making, employing portfolio analytics and data-driven insights to drive informed portfolio trade-offs. A critical success factor for improving decision making will include providing decision makers with the right insights from robust portfolio analyses, including option generation, as part of routine decision making. we're looking for outstanding talent to help drive a new approach to portfolio decision-making, integrating the pillars of the new R&D strategy, standard portfolio management data and tools with scientific insights and analyses. Are you ready to undertake this challenge? Read below to find out more!
The Opportunity ...
This role offers an opportunity to enable investment decision making through rigorous, fact based quantitative analysis and the synthesis of insights into actionable recommendations. This is a high-profile role that entails significant interaction with R&D functional leaders (e.g., Target Sciences, Research Unit (RU) Heads, Medicinal Science and Technology (MST) Leaders, Regulatory, etc.) and exposure to key stakeholders (e.g. Corporate Development, Commercial Franchises, Manufacturing, etc.) across the organization. The successful candidate will be responsible for delivering the analytics required to evaluate investments for the pre-Phase 2 pipeline in a portfolio-wide context, and providing the data for leaders to assess performance of individual programmes RUs, and early development projects. These analytics will be necessary to support decisions on program initiation and progression, funding and resource allocation across Pharma, as well as Business unit strategy. The ability to manage projects, frame issues, problem-solve (both creatively and analytically), synthesize analyses and present findings to senior leadership will be key to success.
The successful candidate will be an important contributor to therapeutic and disease area strategy and performance, and will lead discussions with stakeholders and decision-makers on likely trade-offs and potential scenarios, strategic opportunities, and gaps. You'll be accountable for portfolio-related analyses and ensuring continuous data and information flow between Project Teams, the Research organization, support functions, Finance and Business Operations for portfolio-related matters.
You'll work closely with R&D teams (Target Sciences, Research Units, Medicinal Science and Technology, etc.) and across the organization (corporate strategy, business development, finance, Global Franchises, etc.) to develop integrated assessments and lead aligned portfolio optimization exercises based on complicated analytics with the ability to clarify and communicate outcomes to facilitate decision-making at the senior R&D Leadership level.
We're looking for ...
A portfolio management professional, change agent and innovative thinker who will monitor the external environment for advances in data and technology that could be applied to portfolio decision making at GSK to create a competitive advantage through improved data driven insights. The successful candidate will be intellectually curious with a track record of seeking out novel solutions to both project-specific and portfolio wide issues and also demonstrates a high level of energy, enthusiasm and commitment.
This portfolio decision sciences group will provide the following;
1) Data-driven portfolio insights using internal and external lenses.
2) An objective perspective on GSK’s portfolio versus competitors.
3) Challenging conversations driven by insights in an open and constructive manner.
4) Use of cutting-edge data trends/technology capabilities in application to portfolio decision making.
5) Organizational learning from decision making
Key Responsibilities ...
• Responsible for providing analytics based objective feedback, ensuring alignment and a consistent approach to R&D governance (mPIB, aPIB, DRB, RIB, etc.). Accountable to the Research and Development Organization and to the governance bodies through the Strategy, Portfolio and Operations team. These analyses may include:
o Visualisation and critical assessment of current and future state of the pre-Phase 2 portfolio, facilitating decision making and optimisation of resources and capabilities across Pharma through objective data analyses
o Developing and recommending appropriate trade-off, risk taking, and other recommendations based on data driven insights
o External insights, including benchmarking context and enterprise R&D portfolio context to guide and drive investment management
o Development, implementation and support of tools, processes and materials to support the discussion and communication of strategic, portfolio and program information
o Further develop and apply advanced analytics to inform and shape decision making by program teams and senior leadership (e.g., scenario analysis)
o Outline pipeline goals and desirable portfolio characteristics (e.g., balance between innovation and balancing of risk, life cycle management projects, etc.) to achieve GSK objectives
• Lead portfolio assessments and drive portfolio and indication level prioritisation and sequencing efforts based upon scientific/clinical/strategic/operational/financial factors with the ability to facilitate portfolio trade-off discussions amongst senior leaders. Ensure a coordinated approach across Research Units and key partner platform groups (e.g. MST) to prioritise and deliver the portfolio in an optimal manner.
• Provide strategic leadership and expertise with respect to portfolio analytics and decision making (providing real-time analytics, identification of material events, structuring problems and generating insights) that facilitates trade-off discussions and buy-up decisions for new projects
• Work with business development colleagues to provide insight on portfolio strategy and prioritisation of BD opportunities to enhance portfolio value. As with internal project teams, sit on business development diligence teams to provide strategic support to align with R&D strategy and provide guidance to facilitate efficient evaluation
• Review current Research activities and recommend areas of short-term and longer-term focus from a Disease area, TA, modality and pipeline composition perspective and offer risk mitigation approaches to optimize the portfolio
• Create and operationalise a cross-Therapeutic Area (TA) pipeline management framework and process, for both internal and external pipeline programmes which includes scenario planning, risk / value analyses and trade-off decision frameworks.
• Serve as the single point of contact for the discovery organization in the development and implementation of portfolio management tools and processes to optimize decisions for pipeline entry and progression including a perspective on development capacity and capability facilitated by the data and analyses provided. Ability to provide senior leadership with visualizations of the discovery portfolio.
• Quantify the risk profile of individual programmes using drug discovery metrics including affinity and selectivity of a compound for particular receptors, molecule specific risks, biochemical / pharmacological risk, as well as more traditional drug development risks including safety and efficacy, and competitive positioning (first in class mechanism, etc.)
• Drive business efficiency, stay current, anticipate internal and external drivers, and opportunities to implement cross-functional strategies to maximize productivity and efficiency through use of global corporate standards, development and utilization of strategic alliances with external partners
• Support discovery teams navigate governance, including data driven early stage portfolio decision making and budget for projects from target, Lead optimisation, candidate selection decisions.
• Exhibit a genuine excitement for science and what a specific target can do to interfere with a disease (symptoms, disease modification) and how it is subsequently developed into a medicine.
Our Commitment ...
At GSK we are all inspired by the difference we make and challenge ourselves every day to improve the lives of patients and consumers. That’s why we have created an environment where everyone feels valued, is able to develop, contribute to our mission and be proud of what we achieve.
To support you in achieving your role and career ambitions you’ll be given the opportunity to:
• Play an important role in delivering our mission
• Be an essential part of a diverse, global team
• Develop others as part of your own professional growth
We look forward to receiving your application!
Closing date for applications: 30-October-19
*Internal applicants - please indicate in your cover letter if your position is currently at risk*
When applying for this role, please use the 'cover letter' of the on-line application to clearly describe how you meet the competencies for this role, as outlined in the job requirements above. The information that you have provided in your cover letter will be used to assess your application.
During the course of your application you will be requested to complete voluntary information which will be used in monitoring the effectiveness of our equality and diversity policies. Your information will be treated as confidential and will not be used in any part of the selection process.
If you require a reasonable adjustment to the application / selection process to enable you to demonstrate your ability to perform the job requirements please contact 0808 234 4391. This will help us to understand any modifications we may need to make to support you throughout our selection process.
Thank you for your interest in this opportunity.
Why You?Basic qualifications:
Bachelor’s Degree in scientific discipline together with substantial industry experience
• Strong experience in R&D, commercial, business and/or corporate development/consulting
• Current experience in the pharmaceutical or biotech industry
• Ability to deal with complex portfolio models
• Pharmaceutical Industry Acumen – ability to define, develop and implement business solutions based on trends, opportunities, needs and market direction within pharmaceutical industry and health care environment
• Solid understanding of the drug discovery and development process from target identification through proof-of-concept validation, with context of full development to launch
• Demonstrated ability to provide analytic support to ensure the pre-Phase 2 portfolio is well balanced with respect to the potential risks and rewards (e.g., ability to balance well-understood mechanism with exciting but unvalidated targets)
• Solid comprehension and creation of discrete choice modelling, linear and nonlinear optimization, decision trees, Monte Carlo simulations a plus
• Proven strategic & innovative thinking with strong business acumen.
• Lead decision making through rigorous, fact based quantitative analysis and the synthesis of insights into actionable recommendations
• Ability to analyse a wide variety of data, including financial data to inform strategic decision making
• Deep scientific background along with ability to incorporate financial and commercial characteristics of programs within a broad complex portfolio and to distil insights
• A track record of being able to solve complex problems through data analytics and in insight generation from complex data sets.
• A track record in a global portfolio management function
• Track record of employing highly sound technical and business judgement in solving complex business problems with high risk/impact to the organization.
• Recognized team player with proven facilitative leadership skills in a cross-functional global team environment with ability to influence and align stakeholders.
• Ability to create and communicate key presentations to internal leadership and external partners with credibility and confidence
• Ability to rapidly synthesise information from multiple sources, communicate ideas and data both verbally and written in a persuasive and appropriate manner in multi-cultural environment
• Intellectually curious and track record of seeking out novel solutions to both project-specific and portfolio wide issues through external accreditation, networking, etc.
• High level of energy, enthusiasm and commitment.
• Able to deliver under pressure while working through ambiguous projects
• MBA or PhD degree in scientific or business discipline
At GSK, our mission is to improve the quality of human life by enabling people to do more, feel better and live longer. Our three world-leading businesses research and deliver innovative medicines, vaccines and consumer healthcare products. We need a talented and motivated workforce to deliver against our strategy. To achieve this, we strive to attract the best people and to create an environment that empowers and inspires
You may apply for this position online by selecting the Apply now button.
If you require an accommodation or other assistance to apply for a job at GSK, please contact the GSK HR Service Centre at 1-877-694-7547 (US Toll Free) or +1 801 567 5155 (outside US).GSK is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.