GSK is a science-led global healthcare company dedicated to improving the quality of human life by enabling people to do more, feel better and live longer. To advance GSK’s discovery of new medicines, we seek smart, creative people who enjoy solving challenging problems and want to improve the lives of millions of people.
Our team (Research Statistics) collaborates with top laboratory and clinical scientists to advance exciting, innovative ideas in drug discovery. We design experiments, analyze data, and visualize results for projects that range from small studies with single endpoints to high-dimensional genomic data. We use traditional statistical methods and modern machine learning algorithms, design experiments to develop new technologies and analyze data to identify biomarkers for clinical trials. Our work is varied and challenging with the common goal to advance the science of human health.
To succeed, team members need good technical and communication skills, the desire to develop their statistical and scientific knowledge continually, and the ability to develop practical solutions and apply statistical techniques in creative ways. Successful candidates will be innovative, pragmatic, and flexible, thriving in a dynamic, collegial environment with frequent new challenges and excellent opportunities to develop and succeed.
In this role, the Statistician / Principal Statistician will be responsible for providing statistical design and analysis for scientific research projects at GSK under the supervision of a more experienced statistician within our team.
Key Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Collaborating closely with GSK scientists and other statisticians to address drug discovery questions with statistical methods
• Applying existing statistical methods or developing new ones to address scientific problems
• Designing experiments to address scientific questions clearly and accurately
• Analyzing data accurately and visualizing scientific results clearly to provide insight for making drug discovery decisions
• Communicating statistical concepts, design recommendations, and the results of statistical analyses clearly and accurately to GSK scientists and scientific managers
• Working with other statisticians on internal department initiatives, e.g. to develop specific technical or consulting skills, new processes, etc.
• Reviewing literature and writing simulations to evaluate statistical methods for application to drug discovery problems
• Representing our statistics team in collaborations with other internal statistics teams and scientists
Applications close once position is filled
Please take a copy of the Job Description, as this will not be available post closure of the advert.
When applying for this role, please use the ‘cover letter’ of the online application or your CV to describe how you meet the competencies for this role, as outlined in the job requirements above. The information that you have provided in your cover letter and CV will be used to assess your application.
During the course of your application you will be requested to complete voluntary information which will be used in monitoring the effectiveness of our equality and diversity policies. Your information will be treated as confidential and will not be used in any part of the selection process. If you require a reasonable adjustment to the application / selection process to enable you to demonstrate your ability to perform the job requirements please contact 0808 234 4391. This will help us to understand any modifications we may need to make to support you throughout our selection process.
Why You?Basic qualifications:
MSc or PhD in statistics, biostatistics, or a closely related field
Strong academic record
Excellent oral and written English communication skills
• To apply statistical skills accurately to practical problems
• To collaborate well with statisticians and scientists from other disciplines
• To explain novel and standard statistical methods clearly to scientific colleagues
• To identify existing or develop new statistical methods to improve the design, analysis, and interpretation of scientific studies
• To evaluate, recommend, and implement statistical tools for addressing scientific problems
• To learn new statistics skills quickly and independently
Motivated to continue learning new statistical skills and to solve challenging problems in drug discovery
Practical understanding of at least some of the following statistics topics:
• Experimental design, mixed models, Bayesian methods, linear and nonlinear regression, repeated measures, machine learning algorithms, analysis of high-dimensional data
GlaxoSmithKline is a science-led global healthcare company that researches and develops a broad range of innovative medicines and brands. We discover, make and market life-enhancing products that are used by millions of people around the world, helping them to do more, feel better and live longer. We have 3 primary areas of business in pharmaceuticals, vaccines and consumer healthcare. We have offices in more than 115 countries, major research centers in the UK, USA, Spain, Belgium and China and an extensive manufacturing network with 87 sites globally. Our three strategic priorities are to grow a diversified global business, deliver products of value, and to simplify our operating model.
You may apply for this position online by selecting the Apply now button.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.